Expired and out of stock listings

Unless you are going to re- make and re-list items is there any point in keeping expired and out of stock listings? Most of my items are one offs and if I re-make I always take new photos and create a new listing. Just before I delete them all, is there good reason to keep them that I haven’t thought of?

None that I can see. I have moved expired items from over there to over here, but even then I took new photos (quicker than trying to locate old photos!)

If you sell the item and then later delete the listing (even after it has expired) then it will disappear from your sold page too I think.

The benefits from re-listing a re-made item are a) if that item has been featured in a collection or favourite finds then it will reappear there after re-listing or b) if you want people who have favourited it in the past to be able to see that it is still available.

You seem to get marginally more initial reach if you create a new listing rather than re-listing as a new listing will show up in the newest listing pages (at the bottom of the front page and the ‘newest listings from your favourite sellers’ section), whereas a re-list will not.

Half-a-dozen of one and six of the other? :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there are external links to the sold item (eg blog posts) and you delete the listing those links will stop working (I think they end up on a ‘bother that page doesn’t exist’ message page). If you leave it as an expired or sold listing those links will still work they will just get a ‘this item is unavailable’ sort of message at the top of the page but it has all the links to your shop that you would normally find on the right hand side of the listing. So in theory they could then look through the rest of your shop from that page.
Hope that makes sense.
Sasha

3 Likes

As Melanie says- you lose the pictures in your sold section, which is a real shame as it is a great resource for people to browse , it shows more breadth of what you can do.

it says this just before you delete:

Wait! Are you sure you want to do this?

Deleting items from Folksy will mean you will never see them again.

They won't appear anywhere on Folksy
Deleted items will not appear in your Recently Sold page.
Anyone clicking on a link to a deleted item will see the Folksy "page not found" error screen.
We can't resurrect deleted items. It's permanent.

So, taking this into account please choose wisely.

be careful - i have recently messed up doing this and my first ever sale has gone now from ‘sold items’ images :frowning:

Thanks thats really useful to know - will leave them for now. Explains why some of my very early sold items have no picture :slight_smile: , probably deleted them without reading the warning!

Yep best to leave them I’ve had people find me via an old sold or expired item that I’ve not relisted.

As the link is still on the internet ie pinterest, google+ etc and customers have clicked those links through to my shop seen the items no longer available and then looked more into my shop and bought something.

So best not to delete them.

Good point Eileem @EileensCraftStudio. I knew there must be a good reason to keep them :smile:

I was only made aware of the items won’t show up in your sold section the other day on another thread.

Only problem was I had already gone through all my old listings and deleted the expired and hidden items which ment also my sold items😕 silly me.