FB Newbie help!

Morning everyone Happy Sunday :blush:

I have taken the plunge and opened a FB account as suggested by my Folksy friends on here​:kissing_closed_eyes: to try n get my products out there! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Please could I ask for a bit of help… in setting it up
I purely want to use it just for my crafting I’m really not interested in using it personally (that’s why I’ve never gone on it) to set a page up for my crafts, would I need to set a business account up or can I just use a normal account does anybody know…?

I’m been having a play around on there n it all looks a bit alien :alien: to me​:face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’m fine with IG n Pin but FB seems more complicated

Thank you x

1 Like

A business account comes with some potentially useful features. On my page I have a ‘call to action’ button set up (mine’s a shop now button which links to Folksy but there are other options), you can also link your FB catalogue to your Folksy shop so that people can see what’s in your Folksy shop from your FB page (and it links through so that they can check out on Folksy). But that feature is a major faff to set up.

1 Like

Like you I wasn’t interested in having a personal account so tried just setting one up for business but it got classified by FB as a ‘grey account’ (think this means they are suspicious of it) and they limited functionality and eventually I couldn’t even get access. It was also pretty much impossible to sort it out retrospectively so have just had to leave it and recently got notice that they were going to close it so hopefully can start again at some point.

After I did some digging I found out that they appear to want you to open a personal account first (think is just so they class you as a real person) and then link to a business account from there. I am defo no expert (can you tell? :rofl:) but thought I’d share my experience so you can avoid going down the same route.

4 Likes

I’d just like a basic page if I can, to put my stuff on but not sure if it needs to be a business page …? Trouble is you can’t actually get to speak to anyone can u on FB that is annoying

Sounds rather complicated Sasha :face_with_hand_over_mouth: x

Does anyone know if a business account is free I don’t want to pay :joy:

I have a personal account which I rarely use and anything I do post on there is almost always set to only be seen by Friends, but from my personal page it enabled me to ‘Create a page’ which is my KB Creations page and people can Like/follow.
I find this works great for me.

Thank you x :grinning: @KBCreations

I have a personal Facebook account which I do use a lot and find very easy and I also have business pages. I’m not great at self promotion & I know I’m not using the business pages to their full potential but I find the ‘Fififoxi’ business page reasonably easy to use and I will be developing it a lot more over the next few months. I also have Instagram but don’t use it half as much as I should - I will be trying to develop that as well. I think it is a fact of life that the more you co-ordinate and utilize social media the more likely your business will succeed. It is daunting at first but it does get easier and you can take your time learning and practicing one aspect at a time. Good luck to everyone out there struggling with social media, I’m sure we’ll get there in the end!

2 Likes

Thank you @Fififoxi
I just don’t want to spend my life on technology if you know what I mean :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I realise we need to do it but at the same time I’d rather be making stuff :grinning: xx

1 Like

I suppose it’s the initial setting it all up that takes the time once that’s done it should be easier fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

I don’t know if anything has changed because it’s a while since I looked in to it, but it used to be that it wasn’t possible to just join Facebook as a business. You have to join as a personal account, and then you create your business page which is linked to your personal account (though it’s not a visible link to the public).

You don’t particularly have to use the personal account to post or connect with friends or anything like that, it’s just the way that Facebook is set up. Once you’ve created the account, you can just ignore that and focus on your business page.

Facebook don’t like people to use their personal accounts for business, so I definitely think it’s better to create a page rather than use your personal one for this kind of posting, just to make sure they don’t shut it down (I don’t know how strict they currently are, but I know a few musicians who got locked out of their personal accounts for posting too much about gigs).

It doesn’t cost anything to create a Facebook account or page, but if you use some of the extra features (such as ads) then that might cost.

Personally, I feel my Facebook page has more likes because I do also use Facebook personally, so I use it to connect with friends, and then they see I have a page and might like it and also interact with that. If you’re not using Facebook to connect with people you know, then it’s probably important to be active in groups to help people find your page.
I feel like Facebook is one of the more social of the social medias, so if you don’t have the time to connect with people and just want to post and leave, then it might not work the best for you and as you say, Pinterest and Instagram may be better. But that’s fine, you don’t have to be on every single social media, if one isn’t a good fit for you, it’s probably better to just concentrate on the ones that do work for you than overwhelm yourself trying to be on everything.

4 Likes

Thank you xxx :kissing_heart:

Its free, I am going through it all now :smiley:

2 Likes

:grinning: :smiley: :smile: thanks

1 Like

On another social media note I am on Pinterest & have been updating my page over the weekend (never know if I am doing it right) :woman_shrugging:
Does anyone know if you need to use hash-tags etc

Thanks again for all the helpers on here :grinning:

I don’t have much luck with my facebook business page. I find instagram much more worth the time and get so much more interaction with it. I don’t know if I would bother with facebook if I was starting now. Thought that might help x

2 Likes

Hi Claire
If I thought it might make a difference I prob would put the time in but I’m interested in joining some of the needle felting groups & trying to get involved a bit with like minded folk like me :blush::face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I don’t think IG have groups like FB … :thinking:
I have just updated my pin page this wkend but I never seem to get any interest on there

Thank you x

1 Like

Hi Michelle
You should add your Pinterest link to your shop page, at the moment you only have an Instagram link. That might help people find you.
Helen

2 Likes

Thanks Helen I will :+1: @HelenCliffordArt