Following the poor photos thread,poor English

That reminds me- The Apprentice is on tonight! Always good for a bit of meaningless business jargon :slight_smile: Home fragrances, should be a laugh…

2 Likes

That’s a good thing to have on while I’m sorting out photos / new listings and copper foiling 3 poppies. I only need to give it 50% of my attention. :smile:

1 Like

More?
Almost exactly
It’s one of a kind and unique…
One heard this morning from last night’s recording:
"The snake has another sense to help them find their prey."
Grrrrrrr!

3 Likes

I agree with dikee and Deborah. Grammar should be checked as best as possible for your shop but the forum doesn’t matter as much … We are around friends, right? The craftmakeship, quality of the product is top. It wouldn’t put me off buying if the listing had a typo and with some comments here I think the being particular is a bit OTT. That put me off. Also I am commenting on my tablet and I am tired buy hey, this is general chit chat so I don’t care if someone thinks my grammar is bad. With shop listings we need to ensure correct but at times you read what you want to read and miss the errors. I’ve done it. I still sell my products. Maybe I am down to earth and have commonsense towards others.

2 Likes

I think most people could work out what people might be intending to say, even with some errors and mis-spellings.

But if younger people see it, they might think it’s OK, and then they apply it at school, or in their letters, and texts.

Then they might wonder why they didn’t get the job they applied for, or why they didn’t get the promotion they expected, because they were not giving enough attention to detail.

Just my view, though.

4 Likes

I assume the two wrongly used apostrophes in your question are ironic? I agree the ‘grocers’ apostrophe drives me mad. Bad spelling is something everyone can correct, if you don’t trust spell check, lets face it which there (their,they’re) do you use, spell check won’t pick those errors up. Remember dictionaries?

1 Like

If you’d bothered to read the previous responses, you’d have the answer to your question :slight_smile: Also you use a question mark after a statement…

3 Likes

Ooooh! You’re getting to the nitty-gritty here…hanging paragraphs be damned! As so rightly pointed out,though, if anyone reads the poor English and assumes it’s right because it’s in “hard copy” and subsequently is left to wonder why their job applications are binned it’s more than time pride in good English was reinstated. It may sound snobbish but it’s not meant that way at all.

3 Likes

I work in a secondary school and teach English and literacy skills. The students I work with make less mistakes than I see adults make online.
Facebook makes me cringe! I see update after update and comments left with the incorrect ‘your/you’re’ being used and ‘their/they’re’. It really does annoy me as it’s not just a case of accidentally writing the wrong word, it’s that adults don’t actually know which one is correct.
Why is this?! Why don’t they know basic written English?
Fair enough a lot of people use their phones and most people are happy to blame autocorrect. But every time I write ‘your’ for example, my phone doesn’t change it.
Yeah, it sounds petty, probably is. But when it comes to selling what you make and wanting to appear professional, it’s important to check spelling, grammar and punctuation.
I can tell if it’s a typo, fair enough, accidents happen. But I’m the sort of person that will move away from someone’s page who cannot write correctly simply because it annoys me and makes it difficult to read.
And I bet I’m not the only one! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

Sorry Susannah, but I have to correct you - it should be ‘fewer mistakes’ not ‘less mistakes’. This is such a common error nowadays but it drives me nuts whenever I hear or read it! It just sounds so wrong to me, I can never understand why it doesn’t irritate other people too. Feel free to pick me up on my grammatical errors, I know my grammar is far from perfect :smile:

9 Likes

This thread has kept me thoroughly entertained whilst having my coffee! My grammar obsession has been passed down to my eldest Son who declared that he couldn’t possibly apply for work experience with xxxxxx because they had used “were” instead of “we’re” in their blurb!

Any mistakes I make are made from rushing and having fat fingers whilst typing. :wink:

4 Likes

It’s one of my (manifold) pet hates too, much used by the guardians of Queen’s English, the BBC.

I just had to show you all this, can you work out what it says?

Donna x

1 Like

I have just checked my brand new dictionary and the word “spelt” ( that I use) is listed. It says, and I quote, “the past tense of the word spell”.
The world spelled is NOT there. If I type spelt the pc underlines it, so it must be another Americanism!

1 Like

This thread reminds me of the time my husband was typing a report about "How to run a business. He typed in error, “How to ruin a Business” and the spell checker didn’t pick it up because it was a proper word. So since then we have never used the spell checker.

2 Likes

I think Spell Checker is a very useful tool. Much like Satellite Navigation is too.
However neither should be relied on 100%. Both need to be checked.

So always, always read back your typed or written work to yourself. You will then pick up most mistakes.

Also as my husband never ceases to say, check it with a Road Map, and use your eyes! If TomTom says “Drive off the end of the road and into the river”, are you going to do it just because TomTom says so?

Shirley x

2 Likes

It was sort of a question, but you’re right it was more of a statement.
There are examples of bad grammar and spelling all over the place, my manager, (I work in a library!) is hopeless, but it’s mostly down to pressure of work and no time to anything in her case.
There’s no excuse for not checking your shop entries, you want to present a professional front don’t you?

1 Like

I try my hardest to get my spellings and words right, but my pet hate is people who correct my mistakes, there are a million things more importand in life than correcting peoples spelling. I get very upset if im corrected, due to illness my head doesnt always understand what im writting or spelling and so my listings will have mistakes, i do go over them and check all the time but even spell check isnt always much help if i cant think of the word i need to use. At the end of the day i want people to love and buy my items not waste their time being niggled about my wording when they have no idea how hard ive tried to write the right words in the first place let alone spell them correct lol xx

1 Like

Hi Samantha, your pieces are lovely and I wouldn’t dream of correcting something anyone else has written. Your descriptions are very imaginative but bear in mind that a buyer glancing at your listings will not understand that you have problems with spelling. Every seller has to try and maximise the potential of selling their makes and,unfortunately, that means trying to ensure that there are no typos. Do you have anyone that could proof-read your listings for you? x

1 Like