For those who have varifocals / bifocals?

Aaaggggg I’ve just got new glasses, I went for varifocals this time because I’m forever swapping between distance specs and reading specs, how long did it take you to get used to them?

I’m finding them a bit strange and it’s a bit weird to walk in them :slight_smile:

I know everyone is different but was wondering how you got on with them!

I’ve had varifocals for several years - I used to travel around for work and was always leaving my glasses at home! They did feel a bit weird at first but I soon got used to them. I do still have to pay attention when walking down stairs though. The other problem can be with using a computer depending on how large the “reading” area of your glasses is. Mine seem fine but I know my sister struggles with hers and gets neck ache from having to constantly tilt her head back so she is looking through the right bit.

1 Like

Mine are brilliant, wouldn’t be without them. Got told shouldn’t use reading glasses for sewing I needed the mid -distance that varifocals provide. That’s was enough to convince me!

2 Likes

I’ve had varifocals for years, but I didn’t really have any problems getting used to them, a couple of hours and I was fine. I’m sure you’ll adjust quite quickly :slightly_smiling_face: I must admit that I do take my glasses off if I’m doing a lot of reading, I just find it more comfortable. I think I’m just used to holding my book closer .

2 Likes

With my first pair, I was in tears the first day thinking I had made a huge and expensive mistake. The opticians had said they would take them back if I didn’t get on with them, within 2 weeks. By the end of the first week I was thinking I’d probably put up with them, and by the end of the second, I’d never have anything else.

But it does take time. I’d advise being really careful for a couple of days - I didn’t wear them to drive in for a while, and watch out going down stairs (because you look down through the wrong bit of the lens and your feet aren’t where they seem to be!

So do persevere - they are well worth the acclimatisation period!

2 Likes

It’s comforting to know you guys are getting on with them, I’ve only had them 2 days. I’m finding the long distance easier to deal with than the reading.
Roz @OrchardFelts, I’m a bit like your sister with the computer, I’ve got a reading pair on order for computer and painting so that should solve that problem :slight_smile:
Helen @HelenCliffordArt Yesterday everything seemed wibbly wobbly, the opticians have said I have 3 months to see if I can get on with them and a no quibble refund if I can’t. Today seems a bit better :slight_smile:

X :eyeglasses::dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

It took me about a week to get used to mine but after that you don’t even know you’ve got them on. The only problem I have us that I play a musical instrument and I find it difficult to adjust my music stand at the right height to read the music well so I have a special pair of music reading glasses just for that. Otherwise I love my varifocals.

Lost without my varifocals. found them very easy to get used to.
Try not to keep looking down though, it may help.

Love my varifocals. Wouldn’t be without them but it took me a long time to come round to the idea. Had them for 4 years now and would never go back.