Folksy Ltd

Has anyone used inkjet decal paper?

(Natalie Morris) #1

technical question… I’ve just started putting images onto glass and ceramics using decal paper, which works brilliantly (just print it, spray it will enamel spray, soak it and apply to surface). Once this is done and thhe image is dry, I then spray it again so the image is protected and won’t scratch.

However… I want to start doing this with mugs but can’t work out how to make the image dish washer proof - does anyone know?

(Ronald Koorm) #2

I don’t think anything could be “dishwasher proof”, as long as transfers are applied to the surface. I think only ceramics with the pattern baked in the kiln and painted before a firing could achieve that. However, I have wondered myself if there is a robust way of keeping the transfers on a mug or surface, as I have various highly coloured unique abstract and semi-abstract images which i would love to try on mugs and similar. Let me know if you find the answer !

(Natalie Morris) #3

they definitely hold up well when washed (ie regular washing up in hot soapy water) but maybe the temperature and vigour of the dishwasher is too much. Will keep you posted

(Roz) #4

Not sure about dishwasher but just wanted to says be careful where you buy your decal paper. If it hasn’t been stored right or is old stock it cracks when applied, learnt the hard way!

(Helen Smith) #5

I do think the image needs to be fired after application if you want it to be properly permanent. There are companies out there who will recreate your image in enamels to apply to china/glass but, as I say, it then needs to be fired on.

(Le Petit Bijou Uk) #6

Hi

I’ve tried using them on ceramics and as others have said, they definitely don’t take the abuse that dishwashers gives (10-20 washes and then they start to go. I don’t think it would turn people off if the have to hand wash them, though. They are a piece of art, after all. You may want to try the laser decal paper. If you don’t have one you could have it printed at Staples or the like. They may prove more robust as they will not fade as quickly

(Ley Holloway) #7

I’ve used lasertran to apply images to glass, it’s ‘fired’ in a domestic oven but you’ll need to find a place that will let you put it through their photocopier, I had major problems and had to get the guy who was selling lasertran to ring the photocopy place to confirm it was ok and wouldn’t explode his expensive copier! That was over 10 years ago mind you. I still recommend hand washing though, good glassware doesn’t do well in a dishwasher anyway.