Healthy eating 2017

Anyone else find it so much easier to eat healthily in summertime?:cry:

Iā€™m still finishing off the Christmas stuff (cheese footballs, fantastic handmade truffles my partner got in his hamper from work.) I do try to keep to my plan but it generally goes awry by the evening.

1 Like

Definitely easier in summer, we still have some Christmas biscuits and a few sweets left, Iā€™m trying to ration myself but when itā€™s grey, dismal and dark early my body just wants comfort food.
I have all 3 of the Hairy Bikers diet books and that has made it easier (they have some great recipes for ā€˜normalā€™ food that theyā€™ve tweaked to be healthier) in fact until I got the 1st book my willpower would last about a week and I never seemed to lose much weight, with these I managed to lose a stone a couple of years ago without feeling I was depriving myself and it has (more or less) stayed off (just need to keep at it and lose another stone at least)

1 Like

I have 4 children under 8 and find myself eating their leftovers and snacking on the treats I get them so I have no hope. I try and get to the gym once a week but I donā€™t think once a week makes enough difference.

I lost around half a stone leading up to Christmas just by changing a few things in my eating, but over the holidays I put most of it back on!
Now I need to knuckle down and get back on track as my daughters wedding is in August and I have seen a dress I like but I donā€™t think it even goes up to my size at the moment so I must lose a couple of dress sizes to get into one!!
Itā€™s going to be hard work for me!! ā€¦eeeeeeeeeeek!! :scream:

Iā€™ll look out for those hairyb books thanks.

1 Like

Things are going badly. Im ill, Im trying to eat well but little treats sneak in. The running club was good but I was holding people back so decided not to go back until I can run, so its inspired me to go out locally.

I find it quite difficult during the winter, too much comfort food, although Iā€™m trying to eat more veggies and cut down on the bread and butter :slight_smile:

Has anyone watched ā€˜Sugar Free Farmā€™? I donā€™t think I could give up ALL sugar but itā€™s not a bad idea to educate myself about ā€˜hidden sugarsā€™

1 Like

I watched the first one, and it was certainly interesting to see who had the unhealthiest diet :open_mouth: donā€™t think I could give up all sugar either (enjoy my chocolate too much as well as the occasional pudding :smile:)

Ah, my favourite subject at the moment!

Iā€™m just 3 days back into the Blood Sugar Diet 800 and feeling very cheerful about it. I did the full 8 weeks ending just before Christmas and lost 1 st 8 lbs. I decided that I would indulge in fruit cakes and seasonal Christmas goodies for a couple of weeks then go onto a 5/2 version of the dietā€¦ but it turned into more weeks than I wanted due to laziness!

So seeing as Iā€™ve had a long break (and feel a loss worse health-wise for it) Iā€™m restarting with the initial 8 weeks again and the ketosis stage is just kicking in but not too bad so far.

Itā€™s very similar to the Sugar Free Farm programme mentioned above but slightly stricter in that itā€™s a low calorie diet and as well as no-sugar itā€™s low in carbohydrates too. I noticed they were allowed potatoes and wholemeal bread and itā€™s really difficult to include those during the 8 weeks - and counterproductive too, but itā€™s only for 8 weeks and I donā€™t really miss them other than the convenience part.

I have a few health niggles that really would improve with some decent weight loss and I could do with being able to fit into some of my old and mostly unworn clothes as I canā€™t afford to buy new ones at the moment and I have a lovely wardrobe of things that used to fit 5 years ago! So thatā€™s my incentive to stay on track - plus I do feel much better, sleep better and enjoy seeing the number on the scales go down!

Wishing everyone lots of will power and successful weight loss!

Jill

2 Likes

Good luck with the next few weeks, you sound really determined which is really good, one of my problems is Iā€™m a bit lack luster at the moment. My daughter does really well with a calorie app on her phone, sheā€™s quite determined too. :slight_smile: Iā€™d like the results without the work but I know thatā€™s not going to happen, Iā€™ll be glad when spring and summer is here, I cope easier when the weather is warmer. x

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard of the calorie apps and theyā€™re supposed to be really good at keeping tabs on things and keeping you motivated. Iā€™m very motivated and very much looking forward to the weight loss - especially right now as Iā€™m really wanting to over eat, but I know the feeling will pass soon.

But for now Iā€™m daydreaming of biscuits! I hope your daughter does well x

Iā€™m having a real problem with crumpets in this cold weather :flushed:

1 Like

Im doing really badly.
Why is it that when I try to eat healthily I end up eating things like cheesecake?!
Why do beansprouts spoil as soon as you open the packet?!
Can anyone point me to some healthy and tasty recipes please, I can hear the cherry bakewells calling me from the cupboard.

1 Like

It might not help with the immediate threat from cherry bakewells but try to get hold of a copy of this book (or one of their other diet books) theyā€™ve tweaked ā€˜normalā€™ recipes to make them healthier but still tasty (my Hubbyā€™s favourite is the sweet ā€˜nā€™ sour chicken) it has stews, pies and even the some cake/pudding recipes and not too many beansprouts :smiley:

2 Likes

I have that book and itā€™s fab!

Iā€™ve got their first 3 diet books and while I was looking for a link to this one found theyā€™ve also done a diet ā€˜Fast Foodā€™ book (only Ā£5.99 on Amazon!) so got Hubby to order that one :grinning:

Bean sprouts are really easy to grow on the window sill (or if you want them to look like the ones from the super market put them in the airing cupboard). You can get the seeds for sprouting from a garden centre or larger supermarkets (not in the cheesecake aisle) and then you need a large jar, unused dish cloth and rubber band. Put some of the seeds in the jar and part fill with water (I donā€™t think you need to soak but check the packet), secure the dish cloth over the top of the jar with the rubber band and swirl to rinse the seeds, drain and place jar on its side on the window sill. They need rinsing a couple of times a day but should be ready in a week, you can have a couple of jars on the go but at different stages of readyness so you have a an unending supply of sprouts without them going off.

1 Like

I used to sprout mung beans this way, I did alfalfa too as I really like that on sandwiches but for some reason I stopped and forgot about it.

I think I may have another go at it now youā€™ve all reminded me!

1 Like

Iā€™m always looking for healthy foods that also taste good and are a joy to eat. One of the recipes we tried at a workshop I went to was mashed banana and avocado, with crushed cashews, as a toast topping. Really nice and very sustaining!

2 Likes

So the healthy eating has gone a bit wrong of late, I wish people wouldnā€™t make coffee cake as I feel I need to eat the whole thing. So today is day 1 of better eating.
Even though the scales have increased my belt has reduced by a couple of notches, thatā€™s very odd.
How is everybody else doing?

2 Likes