Help with magnetic closures and technology

I am in the process of making up various cases/bags for ipads/kindles/phones/cameras etc and just wondered if anyone knew if it is OK to use magnetic closures on them or whether the magnets can affect the technology? I’m pretty sure they are OK and the magnetism isn’t strong enough to affect them but just thought I would check to see if anyone has done any research into this.

Apple do magnetic cases for their gizmos in their shop and my other half has a magnetic case for his tablet. There are magnets in ipad/ pods to make sure the covers line up with the unit. So I don’t think ther will be a problem with ipads/ kindles/ tablets. However there are reports of magnets affecting some functions on smart phones - normally compass apps or apps that rely on a compass (star maps and the like) so maybe just put a warning in about those.
Magnets can also affect credit/ debit cards and I’ve heard stories of them affecting car park tickets / tube tickets (basically anything with a mag strip on the back) so try and use a weak commercial magnet designed for purse closures rather than anything stronger.
Sasha

Hi Roz,

I’ve had several gadget cases that fasten with magnets, so I think you’re okay. Good that you considered this though!

I bought some magnetic tape to convert some smaller art paintings into a magnetic version. I definitely wouldn’t want it near memory cards, usb memory sticks, credit/debit cards, or computer drives. Whilst the magnetic field itself isn’t very strong, it depends how close you put the sensitive object.

Clearly, the bigger companies have researched this, and doesn’t seem to be an issue. The Apple-supplied case I have for my ipad has a magnetic flap, it doesn’t seem to cause a problem, but then Apple approved or designed it.

Something like a purse catch or case magnet intended for that use, should be less of a risk. You are very astute to raise this point, as many don’t even think that magnets can affect technology devices.

Finally, magnets are in headphones, speakers, and one should be careful to keep sensitive devices away from them too.

I’m only using a commercial bag closure type magnet and since I am always carrying my iPad around in a bag with one of these on I assume it is probably OK but just wanted to see if anyone knew otherwise. I recall calling a television engineer out once as the colour on our tv went strange - turned out it was the magnetism from the stereo speakers that were next to it were affecting it!

A lot of modern speakers are now screened so they won’t affect TV’s or computer monitors. Unscreened speakers like you had, will to varying degrees.