How do you post your handmade greeting cards?

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I couldn’t find it (i’m new to using this forum).
I sell handmade baby clothes and accessories and am thinking in expending and also sell one of a kind water colour painted birthday cards. The idea is that, in my shop, you can get a unique present and card. I am aiming to start uploading some cards on to the shop by the summer, so currently I’m researching.

My question is, for you card sellers, what is the best way to post handmade greeting cards. I’m mostly plastic free (apart from the odd bit of tape), so that would be a plus.

Thank you :slight_smile:
Celia

Hi Celia

For me, I most often package cards in either recycled board envelopes (I have a stash from items ordered from Amazon or other book stores), re used (still re usable) padded envelopes or I make them from cereal box card, at least where possible.

Hope this helps a little

Yvonne - Neonne Luna x

ps. Also, following Sasha’s post, I did mean to mention that I currently use cello bags to protect the cards, mostly as I still have a fair amount to use up that I’ve had for a while but have also been attempting to find an alternative… so always open to suggestions there too! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Whilst I am all for going plastic free you do need to ensure that the card reaches the customer in perfect condition which means making sure it doesn’t get damp and the water colours running whilst being delivered. Over the summer you can get away without a cello bag for the card to go in but during the winter months it is probably better to put the card in something to protect it from the damp as well as from getting bent (I have received post that had to be put on the radiator to dry out it got that wet in the hands of Royal Mail!). You can get corn starch bags which would be water proof and can be disposed of on a compost heap if you have one but not all kitchen waste recycling schemes allow them (mine specifically mentions them as something that is not allowed as they don’t break down quick enough) and they can’t go in plastic recycling. (I was part of quite a lengthy discussion on a different forum about avoiding cello bags for cards and we never came up with a good alternative)

2 Likes

I’ve used the Bio-degradable Display Bags, approx 50bags for just under a fiver so it works out at just under 10p each, then I pop it in a regular envelope with a piece of recycled card. I also use pip boxes for layered cards.

2 Likes

I paint and post hand made greetings cards. I put them in a polybag first (sorry about the environment but I have to protect them from any rain during delivery)
I save cardboard from Amazon and put a piece each side of the card, then put the whole thing in a paper bag that is taped down and then the whole package in a strong envelope.
I also write “Please do not bend” on the outside of the envelope and finish off with a small piece of sellotape (other brands available…lol) along the edges of the envelope, as in the past I have had an envelope slit open and the contents removed. Putting a small sliver of tape along each edge is a deterrent .
Hope that helps

2 Likes

Thank you.
I just wonder if they are safe enough in case it gets wet or humid until delivery.

I do use poly bags made from recycled material, (I bought a pack of 100 many moons ago so don’t need to get more for a loooong time) :slight_smile: but usually only use them in the winter. I’ve never had a problem with just using a regular envelope. There are some bio bag and package companies out there but I’m not too sure if they are more expensive. :slight_smile:

I put my cards in a cello bag and this goes in a hard backed ‘do not bend’ brown envelope from Davpack https://www.davpack.co.uk/postal-packaging/protective-envelopes/do-not-bend.htm

Also remembered that at times I have saved up some of the plastic mailing bags I receive goods in and can use those over any cardboard outer packaging to also protect from the wetter weather.

I’ve found that Green Jiffy Bags are surprisingly durable. They’re padded and quite roomy but made from recycled pulp (I think) instead of bubble-lined. They aren’t waterproof but a decent biodegradable cello bag should do the trick - I’m still figuring out what works for me though.

I simply use cello bags and envelopes and so far have had no problems.

For picking the most environmental option, this seems to be a good article - https://www.blueeyedsun.co.uk/blog/cello-bags-for-greeting-cards-environment/

And seems to suggest whichever you choose, the important thing is to make sure your customer knows the right way to dispose of whichever type you’re using (something I need to add).

2 Likes

I also reuse bags that I have received things in. I sometimes need to de-construct them then make them into new packaging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone, this has been really useful.

I found some recycled cello bags as well, but I’m tempted to give the biodegradable ones a go as now is not so wet and I believe they must be somehow durable. I will also reuse cereal boxes and then into a normal envelope.

Thank you for being so helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use bio-degradable Corn Starch clear bags which I get from eco-craft.co.uk & have had no problem with them - even in humid cornwall! :grin:

3 Likes

always in board backed envelopes as MY postie always bends everything in half and I would hate that to happen to anything that I sent. x

1 Like

I use large letter boxes. Think I got them from rajapak. I sell jewellery too and use boxes for both. I’m getting some paper tape soon too. Instead of cello tape.