How long do you wait for payment?

I had an order Friday night for some earrings. I still hadn’t received payment yesterday evening so contacted the buyer. She said she did want the earrings and had tried to pay several times but Paypal kept freezing but she would try again when she got home. Payment still hasn’t been made. I know its a weekend so she could be busy but would you send another email tomorrow if she still hasn’t paid, and if not how long would wait before cancelling the order ?

hello Sam,
this happened to me last Thursday. I knew I had read a thread or two about the subject, so searched for what I was looking for, check out thread,

there are some interesting posts
it may not give you the answer how long do I wait which was my question too. I sent my first email to the customer 5 hours after the Folksy notification, but I had no answer, I then emailed her again 23hrs later, (see thread above) and then 25hrs after the initial contact I cancelled the order. I think if you email the customer at 9amish, time shops open and ask her if she is willing to reorder.
As you say , it has been the weekend, and she may have been busy, but you have a business to run and as long as that item is in her basket it is not in your shop and nobody else can see it thus not order it .
Hope you get a positive result
Suzzie x

1 Like

I’ve had problems with paypal (as a buyer) over the weekend too.

If your buyer has been in touch with you and does want the items I would definitely give it a bit longer. As a seller I usually offer to send out a Paypal invoice because for some reason that often works when paying through Folksy doesn’t.

I have also sent out the paypal invoice to customers who are having difficulty paying and it always seems to work.

My buyer didn’t reply to me, bu t I read about a PayPal invoice where do you find them and how do they work Helen @HelenSmith so I can be prepared for next time
s

I have had this problem quite a few times I usually wait about 24 hours to see if they pay I then send a email to say it has not been paid If you still require the item please let me know by ( I usually give about 24 hrs ) if I do not hear any thing I will return the item back for sale.

I had this problem a few weeks ago. The buyer said she wanted the item but couldn’t pay on Folksy and I sent lots of emails offering to help. I had a couple back saying she still wanted the item, but didn’t tell me what the problem was and then no reply to my emails for the next couple of weeks. In the end I gave up. I didn’t know what else to do.

I believe if they’ve left it more than 24hours the link in the folksy email they receive expires so it could be they can’t get to the item to pay (obviously the item will have gone from your shop so they can’t see it there either) I would send an email saying if they’re still having problems then it might be easier if you cancel the order and they can ‘rebuy’ it from your shop, if they really want the item they’ll come back, but if they don’t it might be they changed their minds and are stating a ‘problem paying’ as a way of getting out of the sale.

I would never send an item before payment shows up in your paypal account, it’s too risky!

1 Like

If you log in to your paypal account, along the top there is the option ‘Send and Request’ and in there the option to create a paypal invoice. You just create the invoice for the full amount you would be paid on Folksy (don’t forget to add the shipping charge!) and send it to your buyers e-mail address. It doesn’t matter whether they are registered with paypal or not.

I usually message them first to tell them what I’m doing so they don’t get hit with an unexpected demand for money! As I said, this works best when you have heard back from your buyer that they do want the item but are having difficulty paying for whatever reason.

Once they have paid, I think we are able to mark transactions as paid ourselves now? If not, you just ask Folksy admin to mark it as paid for you.

Thanks Helen @HelenSmith good info to have as I am sure it will happen again
Suzzie x

1 Like

I have a customer that couldnt pay last night she says error keeps appearing. But she has tried this morning and payment has gone through now

Thanks everyone, I sent another email saying that if she was still having problems with Paypal ,but still wanted the item, to let me know and I would send a Paypal invoice. I never heard back so cancelled the order.: )