I'd like to pick your brains about this

I’ve been having a little think about what other ways I can sell my things and I came up with this. I’m thinking of advertising workshops, but instead of people coming to a place where I choose, I go to peoples houses and do them there. It’ll be on the same principals as Tupperware parties. The host will get a % to spend in my Folksy shop.
All the materials they require will be obviously provided by me for a small fee i:e if it was a ball they wanted to make then they will get a choice of what colour and size they wanted to make.
There’s a lot of other things which will have to be thought through before I go ahead and advertise but I wanted your opinions first and to know if anyone has ever done this type of thing before or gone to someones house and done this.

That sounds good to me. More and more people are wanting to try out different crafts but have no idea where to start and don’t want to spend a fortune on a lot of materials that they may never use again.

I get asked a lot about Lino printing workshops. I’ve done a few 1:1 or 1:2 sessions but I’m now thinking of running a regular session at a place local to me- where everyone pays a small fee to cover materials and they can take a finished product home at the end.

Your idea sounds good. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work if it was marketed right and I guess word would travel once you got going with it. I know people who take part in Knitting parties and things at people’s houses so similar concept.

Go for it! :blush:

1 Like

Please make sure that you have considered your personal safety if you are going to strangers’ houses.

3 Likes

I have a couple of Craft fairs coming up soon so I thought if I got some flyers printed and handed them out there. I just think a lot of people don’t like going out of their comfort zone and this would be a good way. I tried workshops before and hiring a hall but didn’t get enough interest so had to cancel the hall and ended up doing it in my own house, which was great fun.

Oh I will. It’ll probably mostly over 40’s age group that would be interested I imagine.

Yeah I think you’re right. I’d say certain TV shows are making crafting more popular- people like Kirsty Alsopp and things like the Sewing Bee etc. but people are not necessarily massively confident in just jumping into it.
Advertising at craft fairs would be good and then people will be talking to you there before they hire you to go round their house. I think people would be happier having met you face to face first.
It sounds good! I think it’ll be a good idea! Possibly good to get it going in time for the winter as well when people want to stay at home more but still want to try things- people could learn how to make a Christmas present or two for relatives while with you as well. :blush:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I thought with the dark nights drawing in shortly nobody wants to go out. Like you said if people book them at the craft fairs where I’m going to handing out leaflets, they get to see me face to face and like @RhiannonRoseJewellery be careful before going to strangers houses.
I shall have to give this some thought.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely. Though sounds like a good idea. No harm in giving it a go! You can only know if it’s going to work if you try. :blush:

1 Like

I’ve just joined a couple of groups on Facebook in my area to advertise events. That could be a good way to get it seen as well as flyers.

1 Like

I have done all sorts of things over the years…knitwear parties, demos and a few years ago, I started a craft fair co-operative where people paid £5 a year to join…that kitty money was used to book a hall for a fair…then those that had a table at the fair shared the cost of the hall among themselves (replacing the kitty)
So if you take £50 out of the kitty for a venue…and you have 20 members with a table, they each only pay £2.50 on the day. So the kitty is always replaced. If for any reason the co-operative group closes, then those members who still belong share out any remaining money. It worked well for a few years but you need someone to look after the money and people need to help with booking and advertising.
Your idea sounds brilliant to me…the only thing you would have to consider would be that your people might go to folksy and buy from other shops (we don’t mind that though…only joking)

You’d definitely need public liability insurance to do this.

1 Like

I have public liability already for craft fairs and when I did the workshops before I enquire do if I was covered and apparently I am, so everything covered there.

Am I alone in wondering exactly what risk you might expect to encounter if you go to someone’s house ?
Is someone going to scald you when they pour you a cup of coffee, accidentally stab you with one of your needles.
Sorry but of all the things which might be being discussed here in this topic the very last subject I would expect would be that awful modern idea that someone is going to do you harm and you need to insure yourself up to the eyeballs to cover yourself.
Surely to goodness if you have engaged with someone enough to make arrangements for your ‘session’ you will have been able to deduce if they are likely to attack you with a rolling pin or a violent budgie. I jest but only just.

PS: My friend by the way does paper craft parties at other people’s houses and has escaped unscathed for several years now. Good luck with your idea, it sounds brilliant.

4 Likes

Haha that made me laugh!! But only because I always wonder this too- I’ve never once been afraid to go into someone’s home or have someone come into mine, as if either of these two things happen I’ve usually had conversations with the person concerned before hand.
The majority of people in the world are just like me- as in we all want to arrive home safe and well at the end of the day and don’t wish to do anyone any harm.

Thanks for the giggle though! Haha

2 Likes

Well, excuse me for being concerned!

It was only until @chicita mentioned about the insurance I then thought do I need it. I have it just in case but like you @JOYSofGLASS I don’t think it will be vital. It’s a bit different if they were coming to my house etc.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with all the comments above, but insurance is a necessary evil these days and it’s there to protect the participants rather than the teacher. Can you imagine the outcome for Pauline if someone were to sit on a pin, get a sceptic bum (!) and be out of work for months, then sue for loss of earnings.

Maybe I need to think again about the pro’s & cons.

I think it’s best to have insurance, but it sounds like a really great idea to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about teaching at local craft groups instead?/ or as well as.

I know our local craft group pays people with individual skills to demonstrate their craft.