Odd request from customer

Hi I’ve sold a tea cosy to a lovely old guy in Michigan, USA. He asked for two tea cosies in the comments box so I emailed him back with a link to a custom order including the extra postage so that he could buy the other one and I could send them both at the same time. He emailed me back with a lovely long-winded reply about his history and how he had met the queen etc and asked if I could send him an acorn in the package so that he could grow a large English oak tree.

Here is the issue - is it legal to send an acorn in the post to the USA? I’m not even sure I could find an acorn that would not be ‘past it’ now that it is spring. Just thought I’d ask any of you knowledgable people.

Claire

This is what it says on the royal mail website

Live trees and other plants; bulbs, roots and the like; cut flowers and ornamental foliage

Except as provided, plants, and plant products which are subject to restrictions or prohibitions of plant quarantines or regulatory orders of the U.S. Department of Agriculture may not be imported into the United States through the mails and should not be accepted for transmittal to that country.

I’m going to go with no you can’t send him an acorn - just blame it on the royal mail not allowing you.

1 Like

Yes, I thought there would be restrictions. Thank you for clarifying it.

Ahh bless him but I’m also sure its not allowed to send that sort of item.

1 Like

Awww how lovely! Bless him.

2 Likes

Such a lovely guy, but I won’t be sending him any acorns. Hope he’s not too disappointed!

Surely an acorn is a seed, and some seeds are allowed.

I’ve decided to send him a knitted acorn and oak leaf that I put on my acorn tea cosy. That should keep him happy. He’s such a lovely chap.

7 Likes

So sweet and with no chance of introducing any sort of new tree disease or pest to the states.

1 Like

That is a lovely idea. I do think it’s amazing that it’s possible to connect like this with people so far away, even if they do ask some weird things now and then! Hope the sale goes smoothly.

2 Likes

Oh that’s a lovely thought Claire, I’m sure he would love that.

1 Like