Online Craft Market with Pedddle

Today is the Online Craft Market with Pedddle . I can’t say I really understand what this is. I’m assuming that Pedddle is a third party that you pay to put your folksy items on their instagram. Have I got that bit right?

I did think of joining in but thought it involved putting pictures of my products on my instagram which I didn’t want to do.

Has anybody reading this thread joined in or bought anything?

According to the email there are “Market Walks” on instagram but again, I don’t understand what this means. Am I being dim?

Please let me know if I’m missing out on something good!

. . . I don’t understand it either . . .???

My questions would be:

Does it enable you to sell your stuff to customers outside of other Folksy suppliers?

How widely is this opportunity being advertised to the world?

As I understand it you have to apply to Pedddle to be considered as it is curated and there is a thread on the forum somewhere where quite a few Folksy shop owners talked about their application being rejected. If you are accepted there is a monthly fee.

It does enable you to sell your wares to customers outside Folksy but since today is such a lovely day I wonder how many people will be shopping online rather than being in their gardens.

I noticed on the Pedddle website today that some of the Folksy folks are running discounts during the day so I presume that was suggested by Pedddle.

I had a look at the market yesterday. I have to admit that I found it a bit hard to get to grips with at first, I’m not very familiar with Instagram, but watched three interviews with makers (there were lots, I think these were the “Market Walks”) and I thoroughly enjoyed the ones I saw.

There was a page which showed all the Folksy makers involved with the event. You could browse the makers, click to have a look at their featured items, browse those and from there you could click through to their Folksy shop. (good for everyone here!)

There were also some live demos which I didn’t see, but will definitely catch up with if they are available somewhere.

Well done Folksy and Pedddle, I hope it turns out to be a great success. I found it quite inspirational, and so interesting to see how small businesses are adapting at the moment.

4 Likes

Well, with “real” Craft Fairs not possible at the moment, perhaps it filled a gap and the demos will be interesting to watch. I wonder if there will be a catch-up article from folksy so we can see what we missed if we didn’t join in.

Can anyone who was involved give a summary of how busy the day was? Did it create a Craft Fair atmosphere in your own home?

1 Like

I participated and found it thoroughly enjoyable, not to mention good for business.
Pedddle runs online markets and is a networking source for “real” markets. Its members link their “stall” to their online shop. Yesterday’s event was exclusively for Folksy members, who are also members of Pedddle. They try to put you more “in touch” with your potential customers with market walks and demos, like in a real market.
Footfall to my shop was astronomical yesterday. Like in a real market, my lower value items sold well and I feel like I have an expanded customer base going forward.
It was also great to meet other Folksy members. It was very well organised. I hope we get more of this sort of thing.

6 Likes

Oh I agree Chris @ChrisStoneArtist, and even though I wasn’t accepted, I too found it very exciting. I purchased a few things, and in turn made extra followers for my Instagram account. I too liked the fact that you could “see” Folksy people in person, and I kept popping in and out all day. Shame though because when I popped in to see you the reception became fuzzy. Luckily me and Brenda @teabreaks got to see you later in the day. Really lovely online market. SallyAnn

5 Likes

I agree Sally @thegreetingscardshop it was fab to see Chris…I won’t mention how jealous I was and now I am going to eat his Welsh cake…lol

2 Likes

I dipped in and out during the day and thought that it was brilliant! I enjoyed meeting the sellers and thought that it was a really positive way to connect with each other. I’m way too shy to do videos or demos, but I thought those that did were really fun. :raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

Are the interviews available to see anywhere please @folksycontent? I would love to see the one with @ChrisStoneArtist.

2 Likes

You are a glutton for punishment if you want to see me. But it’s here:

6 Likes

Chris @ChrisStoneArtist 2,305 views can’t be bad. I loved how you mentioned Camilla’s hair.
SallyAnn

3 Likes

Haha, I’m sure seeing you won’t be that dreadful! I love your pictures, so I am intrigued to know a little bit more about them. Thank you for the link.

Great interview Chris, you are just as I imagined you would be. OH was pleased to see you and hear about your art and it’s made the painting you did for his birthday mean so much more, so glad you put the link up.

5 Likes

Aw, thank you Lynn, that’s lovely to here. x

1 Like