Opinions on using the Dolls & Collectables category

Hello, I’m new the Talk Folksy and although I’ve had a Folksy shop for a while I only had a few listings. Now I’m giving my shop some much needed TLC, but I have a problem.
I make cute “kawaii” style felt animals, they are ornaments, shelf or desk sitters and I don’t feel comfortable to list them in Dolls & Collectables as they are not toys and are unsuitable for young children. I would put them in Ornaments but there doesn’t seem to be anything like my things in there and they look out of place.
Your thoughts would be really appreciated, thank you!

1 Like

I did a quick search and the dolls and collectables section, especially the animal dolls, includes lots of collector dolls which have the warning ‘this is not a toy and not suitable for children’ which might be suitable for you. If you have multiple listings you could always split them between the ‘animal dolls’ section and the ‘ornaments’ section and then see which produces the best impression/view/sale conversion rate.

1 Like

Thanks Sasha, yes I might try that. I’ve always clearly stated they aren’t toys but I’ve always steered clear or toy or doll categories! I’ll have an experiment - thank you!

1 Like

i have the same dilemma - health & safety aside, i can’t stand the thought of mucky children fingers poking & fiddling with my preciouses :wink:

i split mine between the (animal) dolls and the free machine embroidery categories

2 Likes

I tend to list mine either in Art and collectables/animal dolls or sometimes home décor.

Would it help to have a different category for items like this? If you could do some research around keywords and what people are typing into search engines to find similar products to yours, and then give us some suggestions, we could have a look at adding them?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s hellish at craft markets fionaT!! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks oothatsnice, I’m going to have an explore.

1 Like

Thanks Camilla, I’ll have a think and a dig around and let you know!

I would like a section for Artist bears or collectable bears…I don’t make Teddy Bears!! teddy bears are toys I make OOAK artist bears lol…also my dolls are collectables definately not for children.
Maybe have Dolls, Childrens toys then another for Dolls, Collectables…same with Bears and Teddy Bears. @folksycontent
I make rabbits and generally list under teddy bears would these do better somewhere else?

1 Like

@folksycontent x

Yes it’s tricky isn’t it, perhaps Art Doll / Art doll animal?!
I would rather put mine under collectable, ornament but not many other sellers use ornament for things like mine, I feel like my things will look out of place but theyre not in any way a doll!
Bit tricky!

1 Like

Aww I just popped over to your shop @StitchStudio … so cute (have followed)
Difficult as they are definately collectables not toys…you have described them as ornaments so maybe that is the best category…could you have some under ornaments and some under animal dolls.
I often find it hard knowing which is the best place to list items .

1 Like

Thanks Bearlescent! That’s what I decided to try, some are ornaments, some are dolls. I just see what happens!!

1 Like