Order acknowlegement from seller - please send them!

As a Buyer as well as a Seller on Folksy, can I say how important I think it is to let the buyer know you have received their order.

When I place an order, I get the Folksy email confirming it; also a PalPal email confirming my payment. However, sometimes there is no more contact until the item arrives. I really value a quick email from the seller, just acknowledging the order - otherwise I have no idea whether the order has been passed on by the Folksy system, whether the seller has noticed it, whether it’s disappeared into their Spam folder, or if they are away.

How long do I wait before I nag them? Should I just wait for the ‘dispatched’ email? What if they don’t send that either? When should I expect my item to arrive? … and all this could be prevented by a little thought and a 5-minute email on the lines of ‘Thank you for your order, I’ll be processing it tomorrow and it’ll be in the post the day after’ email. Following up with the ‘dispatched’ email that’s sent when you click the ‘Dispatched’ button on the order is even better!

4 Likes

Do Folksy automatically send an email when you click the shipped button?

I’ve been assuming they do and don’t normally send an email because I don’t want to flood my buyers with hundreds of emails about one order (I know ebay can be a bit over the top sometimes with all their automatic notifications and then if the seller does personal ones too). That’s on a normal day though, where I will have ticked the shipped box the same day if they ordered before 3/4pm, or next day if it was after that time. If it’s a weekend so it’ll be a couple of days before I can tick the box, then I send them an email to say when it’ll be sent (and for international orders to let them know how long to expect… I hope with UK orders the couple of days for it to arrive shouldn’t be long enough to make them worry).

Would you still prefer an email too if you’ll have a shipped notification within 24 hours of your order?

2 Likes

When I get an order providing dispatch by return, always send an email when posted. If taking longer and something bespoke. Email on receipt and confirm dispatch time. Again sending an email when sent.

Personally I will email the customer after I’ve shipped, which is usually same or next day. I’ll also add to that email with a query about where they came across me, & a note to say if they have any issues then to contact me. Sometimes I get no response, but sometimes I’ve had really helpful feedback about what they were searching for, or which social media platform they found me on, plus it prompts some people to leave a review!

@konyskiw I’ve bought stuff recently & you do get an automated email from Folksy to say it’s been shipped, along with the sellers contact details.

I suppose I don’t really expect an email from the seller, I just do it as a bit of marketing feedback! Although I ordered more gift boxes the other day, & didn’t have anything from the supplier until a text from DPD telling me they’d be there within the hour - that was quite annoying, so it is handy to know when to expect things, especially if it won’t fit through the letterbox!

I always acknowledge the order and tell them when I’ll be posting it, but I assumed that Folksy send an email when you hit the “shipped” button. If they don’t, then I will send an additional one to confirm it’s in the post. Does anyone know if Folksy send an automated email to confirm when shipped?

Yes Chris, when you press “shipped”, Folksy sends the customer a message to say so.

I usually print my postage through Paypal, so customer receives notification from them as well as from Folksy that the item has been dispatched. So I do not always send an email to say I have posted. I’d send one if there was anything out of the ordinary, or sometimes I just get a feeling that one ought to be sent.

Yes, folksy do send an email which you click ‘dispatched’, and I’m quite happy just to get that it it’s within, say 24 hours. It just makes me nervous when there’s complete ‘radio silence’ for days, so if I won’t be able to post for a day or so, I would send an email just to confirm.

This was sparked by my not having heard anything about something I purchased 6 days ago. I knew it was ‘made to order’ so expected a small delay, but nothing - so I emailed today and got a very speedy reply most apologetic - this was the seller’s first sale on Folksy and the order email had gone into her Spam folder so she was wasn’t aware of it!

Glad I trusted my instincts and checked - and pleased to have been this lady’s first sale here too!!

1 Like

Absolutely. I Always acknowledge orders and thank the customer for making it. I also like to mention if I remember them as a repeat customer and thank them for that.
If you tell the customer you are posting first class today, tomorrow then they know when to expect it and they know if it’s late. I also say, unless posting signed for, that if it hasn’t arrived after a couple of days please check to see if it has been left somewhere safe as my packages, except jewellery only, never fit through the letterbox…

I always send an email to acknowledge an order.

That’s good to know, thanks, I’ll just make sure I email when it’s got a little extra wait then.

I know what you mean though, I have a habit of buying second hand clothes on ebay and sometimes they’re awful at communication. Can be left a week or two wondering if they’re really slow at sending or forgot to click the shipped button and it’s lost in the post. It’s good you got that inkling and checked!

Yep. I always send a ‘Thank you for your order’ email when an order comes through. It explains when the order will be sent, how it will be sent and when it’s expected to arrive. I don’t send an email when it’s been shipped as Folksy automatically sends one

I always did but then I thought as Folksy sent an email, that I didn’t want to send something else. I think though I will start sending them again now.

I send a thank you note stating when it will be sent.

We always acknowledge the order and advise when the order will arrive. We weren’t sure if folksy did send and email to the customer when we clicked the ‘shipped’ button. Good to know that they do.

I always acknowledge the order with an email and then another when I’ve posted it out, giving them the tracking number. It doesn’t seem to help with buyers leaving a review as they rarely do anyway but at least I feel I’ve done the right thing.

As Folksy send an email confirming the order, as well as Paypal sending an email, I tend to feel that a 3rd email is a bit much so I don’t send confirmation of the order. If I post out within 24 hours and it’s not signed for I just mark the item as posted on my dashboard. However, if It’s a couple of days before I get to the post office, or the item is signed for, I will email them thanking them for the order and letting them know it’s on it’s way. I personally don’t email them before I’ve posted it, telling them when I am posting, incase something happens and I cannot get to the Post office that day…which can happen for me.

6 Likes

I think that’s fine, Kim. Just something that confirms with a day or so that, not just do Folksy know that there’s an order, the actual seller does as well - that’s where the system can occasionally fail.

I always send a confirmation of order email so the customer know’s I’ve seen the order and I let them know when I will be taking it to the post office. I also invite them to let me know if their there are any problems with their order etc etc

When I returned from posting the customers item I then hit the despatch button on the item this I know sends the customer notification I’ve posted their item out to them.

It’s interesting to hear another perspective. I have always been wary about a customer receiving too many emails; there’s one from Folksy and one from Paypal, then a confirmation from Folksy and one with the tracking number from Paypal - do they really need another one from me, or is that getting spammy?

Of course that’s assuming the automated systems work properly. Yesterday I received a despatch confirmation email from a packaging company telling me that nearly £400 worth of assorted boxes were on the way! My one line costing £5.95 was buried in there - I think the rest was the warehouse picking list for the whole afternoon. At that point yes I did seek reassurance from a human that this was a computer glitch, and I wasn’t about to have 5000 boxes arrive through my letterbox :grin:

1 Like

I only personal email a customer if i need more information about the order (particularly for my made to order items) and, although it’s never happened, if i couldn’t post within the given timeframe i would email. I think the folksy and PayPal emails are enough.

3 Likes