Payment problem?

A customer has been getting an error of ‘The card you entered cannot be used for this payment’

Is this a known error? They do not have a paypal account, and have checked with their bank and their cards are good (tried multiple cards).

Is the delivery address the same as the card address? Sometimes a problem if the card is registered in a different country.

Yes it is. Although they have moved within the last few months, could that be a factor?

Make sure they are selecting the county and country correctly on the address details screen. I think it was the county specifically that was causing a problem with some cards in the past.

Thanks, I’ll pass that along

Customers can only pay via paypal.

If they do not have a paypal account they can still use paypal as a guest but only for a limited amount of times.

Oh, I didn’t know that @EileensCraftStudio I thought it was paypal or credit/debit card. Not everyone has or wants paypal

I often choose to pay by credit card instead of paypal, so I know that’s not correct. Only yesterday I paid 5 times by credit card on Folksy, instead of using my paypal account. They do try to get you to use a paypal account (if you have one) but they haven’t ever stopped me paying by credit card.

I’ve just thought of something else - I’m sure there’s a box on your paypal account settings that you have to tick to allow buyers to pay by credit/debit card. Have you checked your account to make sure the settings haven’t changed?

Edited: it could also be that you only have a personal account on paypal, instead of a premier or business account, which you should have if you are trading. I have a feeling that personal accounts don’t allow you to receive payments by credit/debit card.

since when did folksy offer customers to pay other than via paypal???

You still pay via the paypal screen, but there’s an option at the bottom of the screen to pay by credit/debit card instead of from your paypal account. It’s always been there, and I use it for most of my payments, as I prefer them to go onto my credit card.

I’ve never had that option come up.
I always use paypal and I don’t keep funds for long in my paypal account so it always comes off my debit card via paypal.

Next time you get to the paypal checkout screen, don’t login to your paypal account, just scroll down to the bottom and look for the ‘pay by credit/debit card’ link - it’s usually in blue. It means that buyers who don’t have paypal accounts (or like me choose not to use them) can pay by card instead.

Right, have just spent a good amount of time wading through Paypal. I have a Premier account, and the ‘Paypal account optional’ box is set to On as it should be.

I’ve been back to the seller, and they have tried it with county and no county. Still nothing.

This is very annoying. I know I could sell to this buyer using alternate payment methods, but it is only because I happen to know this buyer that they have persevered. How often does this happen and the buyer just give up? :frowning:

Thanks for your help though.