Pinterest - repin thread (old)

Ahhh, I hadn’t thought of that. I see what you mean my business account should be for my jewellery posts & my personal account should be for all the posts I’m sharing & pinning. I agree it is so confusing!!

2 Likes

Hi all. Thanks for joining in! I’ve been through everyone that’s posted, followed you & pinned a few of your things into relevant boards.

I’ve only ever used my business account - I probably have a personal one somewhere but think I immediately changed it (or added) a business one, so not much help there! I know the business account is useful for analytics so you can see what pins get better views, but I’ve also seen people using their personal account for everything - so maybe don’t worry too much about it & see what works for you. If you have both maybe try using the business one for a bit to see if the extra activity brings new views? You could make any personal boards private, but then also there’s nothing wrong with your customers seeing some of your interests - customers like to buy from real people (apparently!)

I don’t really know the ‘correct’ way of any of this but personally I’m doing the following…
One main board with all of my own listings - every time I list something I also pin it to this board. I used to pin from the listing but I’m starting to now create a pin within Pinterest, as apparently those can rate higher with the algorithm
Then go into Pinterest, find that new pin & repin into some relevant boards - I’m only just starting with this, but a copper bracelet could go on a bracelet board, copper jewellery board etc.

I’ve also realised that square photos aren’t really the thing for Pinterest, so each new listing I’m making sure to have one photo that’s 1:2 (1000x1500px) for creating the pin. But that will be an ongoing thing - cannot face taking new photos of 160+ items!!

Hope that helps! It’s all a learning curve & hopefully something that will become easier with practise :rofl:

6 Likes

I’ve just started taking a Pinterest friendly photo too. For older listings I’ve been making a quick collage of one large square photo at the top and then two smaller ones underneath.

4 Likes

Yes, I saw those & pinned a couple - great idea & I’ll have to play with that!

3 Likes

OK, so just had a little google about the personal / business accounts - I might not have given the right info above. This was quite a useful read…

2 Likes

Don’t forget to add your Pinterest link on your Folksy page x

3 Likes

Another tip for anyone that uses Canva, they have templates which are the right size for Pinterest pins. You can post them directly from Canva too.

4 Likes

Yes I spotted that but wasn’t brave enough to press the button! :laughing: I need to have a play. I’m sure I read that you can make Insta reels on there too so that’s something else I need to try. I bloody love Canva…amazes me how much you can do for free!

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that at all! Thank you!

2 Likes

OK. So having read all that, these are my conclusions…

• I have been breaking Pinterests rules posting my business to my personal account so I need to post my products on business Pinterest.

• To keep things separate, I need to use my personal account for everything else and only put my shop stuff on my business Pinterest… so I follow you lot and repost with my personal account…but hope that you will all follow my business account.

• I am better making pins that doing it directly from Folksy’s handy buttons.

Does that sound about right?

Kirsty

3 Likes

I think so?! The only thing I’m not sure about is whether it matters you repinning from your business or personal. I’ve been doing it from my business account, & I haven’t read anywhere that repins from a business count less with the algorithm than personal ones. But happy to be corrected if someone knows for sure!

2 Likes

I am not thinking about it from that perspective, more that the article you posted seems to think our business Pinterest should be really focused on what we are selling, if we have all sorts of random stuff it seems to confuse the algorithm.

We want to keep your pins and boards on-topic because they (and the keywords you use on them) are THE WAY that Pinterest knows what your account is about. The keywords you use send signals to Pinterest’s algorithm about what you create content about – and what solutions you have to offer – through your free and paid content.

Most importantly, as a result of all that… your pins, boards and keywords help determine who Pinterest will show your pins to – and in what searches.

Bottom line: If you have pins and boards about your wedding planning, baking, and kitchens… then Pinterest will be confused and show your pins to women who are searching for ideas about weddings, baking, and kitchens.

3 Likes

I only have one account which I changed to a business account. I keep my personal boards secret so that my page doesn’t look too muddled. To be honest the only personal pins I have are teaching ideas, I use Pinterest mainly for business.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that pinterest likes your (business account) boards to be a curated mix of your own original content pinned from folksy, instagram, your website etc and items repinned from within pinterest… unless it has changed recently at any rate! I found this podcast was helpful - it’s with actual people from pinterest itself -

Having said all that I hardly ever remember to actually pin anything myself, but my account is here

6 Likes

Back in the days when Etsy was a small niche website, Folksy was but a twinkle in James’s eye and nobody had even thought of Instagram, I had a Flickr account - it is really weird now often I trip over my own photos pinned from Flickr - but then perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised that Pinterest thinks they are something I might like?!

2 Likes

So I have tidied up my Business page so it’s more obvious what is my own stuff, and I will try to point people there rather than my personal page.

Next task - I’ve had a look at the analytics, and they are all Zero! Not sure what is going on there. Actually, it may be true, because people will have been pinning from my personal page up till now…

4 Likes

I have been through everyone’s boards and repinned several from each to various of my boards from my other shop Oswestry Jewels.

Here is my account you can chose which board in there to repin from

5 Likes

Yes, I use canva for my pinterest pins, when I remember to do them! It is quite easy.

2 Likes

I really need to get my head round Pinterest! I use it but never really sure what it’s all about! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have been through & pinned from everyone’s board to my personal account.

This is my business account
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/chrisosbornjewellery0155

3 Likes