Folksy Ltd

Pinterest?

(Diane Mc Kechnie) #1

When you make a board , are the owners of articles pinned acknowledged that you have pinned their item?

(Tina Martin) #2

Good question, I’d like to know that too! :smile:

(Sasha Garrett) #3

I don’t believe so as items of mine have appeared on other people’s boards without me knowing (except when I googled myself and found them). The items had been pinned from my folksy shop so folksy might have been informed but I don’t think that happened.
Sasha

(Oh Button Me) #4

I get notified when people pin stuff off my board but not sure if its every time or just on a certain few :confused:

(Liz Clark) #5

When someone pins something from my board I get notified. If someone is pinning direct from my Folksy shop or elsewhere (like another website) then I don’t. Does that help?

(Diane Mc Kechnie) #6

Thanks Liz I had noticed that if one of my items were repinned I was notified but didnt know about pinning directly from Folksy. Thats a shame as I would like to be notified if one of my items had been pinned so I could thank them

Here is my latest board I apologise if there is a thread for this

(Rosie Turner) #7

Is it possible to pin from your own FB page to your own Pin boards, if so anyone know how to set this up?

(Liz Clark) #8

I can. I’m on an Apple laptop though - but when I hold down the ctrl button and click an image a drop down menu appears with “pin it” as an option at the bottom of that menu.

I did add the Pinterest browser button which may have enabled this.
https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/add-pin-it-button-your-browser#Web

Edited to add - scrap this - see below!

(Samantha Stanley) #9

I don’t think FB rules allow pinning images direct from FB. At least in part that is what the whole “FB own and control all images uploaded to FB” is about. Once an image is on there, they want to discourage their users from taking it elsewhere, as that takes it outside of the control of the page it was originally uploaded to. On FB that page gets a mention every time you “share” the picture. It’s not a problem with your own pix as you can upload them straight to Pinterest from your device.

Love Sam x

(Samantha Stanley) #10

Interesting-on my laptop the “pin it” button appears, but FB disables the function (it’s definitely them).

Love Sam x

(Liz Clark) #11

You’re quite right Samantha, I hadn’t tried it and just assumed it worked.

(Samantha Stanley) #12

I personally hate that they do it, Liz, because I’m always seeing things I want to pin on the pages I follow and find I have to go direct to their website to pin the picture. That’s ok when it’s English Heritage (I’ve pinned some of their Art Deco Interiors shots) but some FB pages get hold of some very rare antique drawings and photographs that aren’t available elsewhere, and I just think, “What harm does it do to the original image if I have a digital copy of it on my Pinterest board?” :confused:

Love Sam x

(Liz Clark) #13

I’ve managed to do it he he he…

I had to open the image in a new window (when pressing ctrl and clicking) so that just the image appears - I can then pin from there. There’s no link back to the original page tho, so I guess as designer/makers we’d be none the wiser. You can go and add your link to your FB page though as a comment on your board image.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #14

I think facebook is correct as they have no idea if the owner of the image is happy with someone else pinning their image.

I only ever pin my own photo’s and those who have a pin it button because then I know I have the owners permission to pin.

I repin if it’s already on pinterest but this can be problematic if the owner of the image never wanted their image on pinterst. They can demand pinterest remove it which means I’d get a message saying image removed request by copyright holder. If you get too many of those you can get your account suspended.

(Samantha Stanley) #15

Sh…I’ve just done it! It does feel a bit naughty tho!

Sam x

(Liz Clark) #16

Yes, I’d only ever do it for my stuff (like a work in progress kind of board). I don’t like the fact it can be done with no link back to the original owner so they get credited for it. It’s always a risk when uploading anything online.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #17

We are only allowed to pin our own images and those images we have the permission from the copyright owner to pin when we pin to pinterest. It’s all in their revised Terms and Conditions of useage.

(Liz Clark) #18

How does that work with Folksy pinterest boards? I don’t have written permission from everyone on Folksy that I can pin their stuff to my board when I created a Pinterest board for Folksy. I’m assuming by being on Folksy anyone would be happy for me to pin their stuff in that way.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #19

When we sign up to Folksy we agree to their rules.

Folksy has the pin it button on our listings so if we don’t agree to having that pin it button on our listings we don’t list on Folksy.

(Liz Clark) #20

Isn’t there an argument for Fair Use though if pinning to Pinterest? I’m thinking about my own website here. For example, someone could take one of my images off my website, pin it, but add a link back to my website and comment about how they found it and how much they like it. That wouldn’t infringe copyright as I understand it.

However if someone was to take one of my images, pin it, and pass it off as their own work, or use in association to make money from it, then that is a copyright infringement.

Obviously I’m talking about images that are in the public domain (i.e. Facebook Pages that are public) not personal Facebook pages or groups with privacy settings.

Have I understood that correctly?