Royal mail collection update

Most of you know already, that royal mail now collect parcels from your home , but today I had a leaflet from the postman that says that now if you don’t have a printer, the postman can bring a leaflet with him…I have taken a snapshot of the leaflet for you to see…
I have previous had a problem printing out leaflets, so this will be a big help to me and also to anyone who doesn’t have a printer…

10 Likes

Yes, I used this service a few days ago and it worked well - and saved me having to print anything! I usually print labels, but figured if they’re offering it free I’d save my paper and ink :wink:

2 Likes

How easy was it Sarah @PhotoFairytales I have only used collection once and found the site complicated but I would like to post some larger art back on my site (I cannot get to the post office) where is the link for them to print the label…is it after you pay?

As I live in a small village with no post office, I use the collection service all the time, and it’s been an absolute boon to me to have the postie collect my parcels for sending out to customers, and well worth the extra cost, which I absorb myself rather than adding to the customer’s postage. Thanks for this additional info which I will look into, as my printer cartridges cost an arm and a leg, so it would save me a good deal!

1 Like

Yes Judy, @JudyAdams I sometimes have a problem connecting to my printer, so for the postie to bring a label would help me a lot as well. I would be grateful to anyone who can advise me how easy this final part is to use xx

I’ve not had the postie print labels for me but I have had the RM depot print labels when my printer broke - they scanned a QR code (barcode) that is in the email receipt I get sent after I’ve purchased my postage online. I show my phone with the email/ QR code to a scanner and the little printer next to the scanner spat out a label - so you will need a smart phone I suspect. I’m guessing the posties will be carrying something similar, they already have to carry a scanner for scanning parcels as delivered so they will just need to bring a little label printer with them.

2 Likes

I hope this will work for me because I don’t have a smart phone ( and can’t get to the post office either) ,so this will mean that I can relist some of the larger paintings that I removed at the start of the pandemic and when I decided to sell my car…
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried the postman bringing the label. I have had a parcel collected but printing the label was a bit of a nightmare as my printer is radio controlled and it kept telling me that my printer was offline…this would be a boon for me.
update…
WELL I just sold an item and tried it out and as long as the postie turns up with a label tomorrow, then it was quite easy to do and much better than worrying about printing labels…watch this space x

5 Likes

I don’t have a smartphone either @teabreaks so look forward to your update!

1 Like

It was really easy actually Brenda - I buy postage on the RM site all the time so find it really quick and easy as I’m so used to it, but getting them to print and bring the label just involved ticking an extra box so nothing complicated. The postie wasn’t sure what she was doing when she came (it was her first time too!), but it was all straightforward and went absolutely fine. If I’m getting post collected now I think I’d definitely use it as it saves time printing and sticking on labels myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Judy, @JudyAdams …it was easy to do…all I have to do now is wait and hope a) that it is collected tomorrow and b) the postie brings a label with him…and to be on the safe side…you can view the documents online, so I got my ancient camera and took a photo of the screen on my laptop…so I have a record that I booked and paid for it.
This could be a real boon for me as I will be able to re list some of my larger paintings again x

1 Like

Thanks for explaining @PhotoFairytales I think that sounds really useful. I usually print out on ordinary paper and have to fix with lots of transparent sticky tape, so am presuming that the label they provide is self-adhesive which is a lot better. I’ll try it with my next order.

1 Like

thank you Sarah @PhotoFairytales I just have to wait until tomorrow now and hope the postie brings the label…a real boon for me and royal mail should have done this a long time ago as people don’t trust Hermes any more. Thank you for the feedback…for years now, I have bought physical stamps online and had them delivered…stuck them on my items and my daughter has put them in the post box. However, with small parcels, they don’t always fit in the box, so I had to remove lots of items from my shop…hopefully now, I can get relisting x

question Sarah…@PhotoFairytales…I just spoke to my postman ( on his morning round)…and he has never had to bring a label before…so I gave him 24 hour prior warning haha…My question is…is the label just the shipping fee label or is it the name and address one as well? At the moment, I have put the name and address on the parcel just in case…

1 Like

No it’s the full label, just like it would be when you print at home - so it has all the name and address details printed on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. This is really useful as means that I can arrange pick ups from my parents house for them - previously was a real issue as they don’t have any internet or printer and live at the other end of the country. Only way to do it before was to use Parcel Force (generally too expensive) or post a label up to them and hope it gets there before the arrange collection. Bet there’s a lot of people who can benefit from this and a real help to sellers, just in time for the festives :smiley:

1 Like

I couldn’t imagine my postman managing to cope with this (struggles to put the post through the right door) but I think round here it’s actually the parcel van that’s doing the pick ups so hopefully a bit more switched on. Hope it goes well, I’m sure it will…

1 Like

@feelfeltfound I spoke to my postie this morning and he said that he had a parcel to collect from someone today, so I suspect it would all depend on the size of the parcel/
Sarah @PhotoFairytales was it a sticky label then? Do I need to take ten rolls of sellotape to the door with me?..lol…My parcel is a baby cardigan in a plastic postal bag and not easy to stick regular labels to, this could be fun…and royal mail still haven’t confirmed the collection by email…hopefully it will all go through ok and will be collected tomorrow…I need tea and cake now to calm my nerves…lol x

No, you don’t need your sellotape don’t worry lol!! Tea and cake sounds nice… hungry now! x

1 Like

LOL Sarah…I am a Sellotape freak…tape over everything…ha ha

2 Likes

EUREKA…my parcel was collected this morning and on a lovely sticky label too…
SO if you need to send a parcel and don’t have a printer…this is a brilliant new service !!

8 Likes

Excellent, glad it went well and thank you for testing it out and letting us all know how it went, Bet it’ll be a really popular service.

1 Like