Selling categories are still limited. Where do I put fire irons?

I would like some help with category placement. Does anyone here use fire irons in the bath or in bed? I still can’t find a lounge option or other suitable category. I don’t know if there’s a bigger list. I note that dog leads or oil burners have a dedicated category. It seems like half the world is missing. I’ll put one in sculptures for now as that seems more pertinent than any other while I test out the shop. :confounded:

I would put them in Homeware, home decorations, everything else or homeware, furniture, everything else - perhaps not the best place but can’t find anything closer!

Thank you for responding to my moan. I suppose furniture implies a better usefulness than decorations. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure how many people search using the categories, I suspect most people use the search function which relies on your tags and description to find results rather than the category you’ve put it in. I did a quick search for ‘poker’ and only had one page of results to scan through so wouldn’t feel the need to narrow it down using the categories.

1 Like

Sasha. Thanks for that nudge - a very good point. I see how that works if you know what you’re looking for. I think my complaint here was that if one comes up with a new product nobody else has even thought about then visitors aren’t going to be sat there thinking “I’ll look up that idea that is exclusively someone else’s idea”. I also felt that innovation and creativity would be more fully encouraged if the new product appeared in genre. Or even in a very simple “general household” and “general construction/architectural” category. Also some people just sit and scroll a category looking for unusual gift ideas. Maybe I’ll get used to it.
AHA - I suppose one could include tags of related products that would maybe appear along side it if it was in a generic category to draw people in. But then they might think “that’s a weird product to have appear in this search”. I’ll just go with the flow and see what happens I guess.

I wouldn’t worry about strange things popping up in a search - sometimes it will give people an idea they hadn’t thought of. Not 100% sure what is looked at in the search anyway - try searching fire irons and see the strange things that pop up!

Thank you all for your kind help, encouragement and patience. I’ll sort the shop a bit better and get some more products up. XX