Square format photo request for shop collections

Thanks @HelenCliffordArt - that one is also from 2015 though. Have voted anyway :slight_smile:

Hi Brenda @teabreaks - yeah I can see for you the square format must be annoying - for my work itā€™s helpful as my jewellery is quite detailed so it helps to have a good close up & mine would look silly with a big gap round the edge. Maybe just an option to choose which youā€™d prefer for collections would be better? Although I suppose that wouldnā€™t help you as the actual item photos will stay square! Have to say the photography & editing is my least favourite job!! xx

I donā€™t mind the non-square collection photos, in fact I quite like the fact they chop bits off here or there After all my square listing photos ( I do love these bring square) are all lined up underneath so I just see the collections as a snapshot of what is to follow

I never even knew there was a suggestions area!

1 Like

I know itā€™s not a massive issue - it just bugs me though! Especially as I try really hard with my photos! I think if I had a plus account it might not bother me so much - on your page I see the featured items first, which are square & a complete photo, then the collections, whereas on mine the first photos people see are chopped off. Maybe I should upgrade!! :smile:

I still donā€™t mind the look of your rectangular collection photos on top of your square listings. What stands out more for me on your page is your quite lengthy announcement.
I only use that when I need it ā€¦ to say Iā€™m taking a break and even then I never have more than two linesā€¦ as it pushes everything else down the page so instead of seeing the pictures, visitors first of all see lots of words.

Long ago I requested an announcement feature but I was envisaging a bright little ā€˜sticky tabā€™ note stuck somewhere on the page with just a few words not the potentially long piece of text that we have.

1 Like

Thanks Joy. I was going to ask for feedback on that from peopleā€¦I had lots of people asking about why I donā€™t use silver & didnā€™t really know where else to put it. I might redo my about section & stick it in there? Thanks for the heads up!! I find it quite hard to see your own page from a customers pov sometimes! Xx

1 Like

I was expecting your announcement to be a lot longer when Joy said it was quite lengthy!

A few sentences seems fine to me (at least on my computer, I suppose itā€™ll take up a lot more space on a phone), but I agree you could easily move the bit about copper to the about section and just leave it as the first bit about commissions.

Donā€™t forget at the end of the year thatā€™s the best place for Christmas shipping infoā€¦ so you probably donā€™t want too much other stuff there at the same time, as even on a computer then it can get a bit much.

1 Like

It is 6 lines in all including the space line and the heading. I prefer to use those 6 lines to show my glass as near the top of my page as I can. A personal preference maybe but it works for me.

Kim Iā€™m surprised that you donā€™t use the Feature ā€˜featureā€™ either. I love it as it means that my page changes all the time, like the Folksy front page, even when Iā€™m not doing anything to it.

Does nobody with a Plus shop except me use the Featured Listings?

1 Like

Hi Joy, I use the Featured Listings! itā€™s a good way to refresh your shop whenever you want.

1 Like

I donā€™t care whether the photos are square or rectangular, but it would be wonderful if it were consistent. If I leave enough space around the item to look ok in both formats then the actual item is tiny in the middle. If I crop it to look good as a square then bits get cropped off in the collections rectangle.

1 Like

Thanks @JOYSofGLASS & @konyskiw :smile: I did um & ah before putting it there so Iā€™m grateful for the feedback! I donā€™t often look at anything other than my dashboard on my phone, but just looked at an item & all you see is the announcement, you have to scroll for the photo - should have thought to check that!! Iā€™ll update my ā€˜aboutā€™ & pop it in there. I need to do my ā€˜meet the makerā€™ bit too as I only recently discovered it was there!

The featured item bit is a nice feature - definitely considering upgrading, especially now Iā€™m listing a bit more regularlyā€¦

1 Like

I only saw it as 3, because I blanked the title and I wasnā€™t counting one word over as a full line :laughing: I guess we all view things a bit differently!

I used the feature around Christmas and Valentineā€™s, but I prefer not to when thereā€™s no big gift buying occasion coming up because I find them a bit too big. Iā€™d rather just get on to seeing my shop. Iā€™ll just save it for those times of year when I know people are more likely to be looking for a specific thing.

@OrukiDesign meet the maker? Is that the ā€œbuying from meā€ bit? Or something I donā€™t know about either.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦I need to work out how to find it in the dashboard so I can fill it in!! I accidentally discovered it when I was looking through people whoā€™ve favourited me, I clicked on a name rather than a shop & it takes you to a different page showing feedback score & a section called meet the maker. Just been looking & not everyone has it filled in so weā€™re not the only ones!!

Editā€¦just found it, under profile settings :slight_smile: xx

1 Like

Donā€™t worry , it takes time to find your way around. Iā€™ve been here for ages ( :slight_smile: ) but still have to guess whether I want Shop Settings or Shop Appearance !

1 Like

I was counting lines on the basis of how far down the page it pushes the pictures. Probably depends also what type of screen we are looking at. Iā€™m on my laptop so got full screen view. Safer than on my phone as my fingers type a load of rubbish on there as they are bigger than the phone keyboard keys ! :slight_smile:

Ps. On my phone the announcement pushes all the photos right down, off the screen.

1 Like

Ahhā€¦ yeah Iā€™ve definitely not seen that before or noticed another section to fill in on the dashboard! I donā€™t think where to find things here is always the most obvious.

1 Like

Yes on mine too - I really should have checked! I try to avoid doing too much on my phone - itā€™s fairly ancient so I have no end of trouble trying to use Facebook for business stuff on it (doesnā€™t help that fb is a nightmare & they keep changing it!!) Think Iā€™ll be having an admin day today - whoop!! :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m always clicking through menus to find the right bit! Now just need to work out the difference between ā€˜aboutā€™ & ā€˜meet the makerā€™, & to find a photo of myself that I donā€™t hate!

1 Like