Thinking of a new range, opinions please

Not sure if this is allowed on here so admin delete if not appropriate.
I’m thinking of making a sort of “off the shelf” range. A range of 4 items 2 boyish and 2 girly pieces. My items are all made from your child’s drawings so unique to you, however I’m wondering if customers might like the choice of buying the same style but don’t have a drawing (hope I’m making sense?)
I was thinking of a price point around £30 for a pendant or brooch in brass or copper?
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated
Sarah

1 Like

I would be wary. Your customers are paying for a captured memory of their child at a particular age, off the shelf images totally lack the reason people are buying.

Mm I did wonder that, thank you for your feedback, I’m really torn as to what to add to my range.

I think your unique selling point is that your jewellery is totally unique.

Perhaps you just need some more targeted marketing, here are a few of my ideas off the top of my head:

• gifts for grandparents, godparents etc as well as parents keepsakes.
  • go into local primary schools and see if they want to offer it to their kids families on a commission basis.
  • similarly offer to local nurseries and churches
  • target facebook groups for mums

Thank you for those ideas, it’s just hard to build up a portfolio of work, I was wondering if I needed some cheaper priced items (although my prices are no where near reflective of the time that goes into each piece, but that’s the same for us all) mmm back to the drawing board I suppose.

I think you’ll get there, it’ll just take a little time to build up a commission base. Do you tag your local town facebook pages in your pics to improve your reach? Post in relevent facebook groups? Network with toy shop pages? FB is a massive marketing tool if you use it right - and it’s free :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I think your pieces are really great. When you start a business with a unique product you can find that it might not be so widely commercial. However, there is no reason why you can expand what you do, especially if you are looking to sell pieces with a lower price point. You may be known for making pieces unique to a particular customer but don’t let that stop you offering pieces that could appeal to a broader audience. By expanding what you do it helps you creatively and gives potential customers a wider offer. Good luck

Thank you, I have decided to go for it, my husband pointed out that all jewellers have a range and then make custom pieces if requested. I’m excited to start my new range. Thanks again for your advice