Time out - Me time

Hi everyone,

I was not sure what to call this topic, very interested to know what everyone does to take time out from stress of current situation or in general.

I am currently trying yoga (minus the breathing) for a week to have a good stretch and increase mobility. To early to comment and probably need to continue for a month.

So please let me know what’s your me time for positive outlook to your day.

S

3 Likes

Hi @TheTealightHut I find if I feel a bit stressy I don’t listen or watch too many news programmes, as all the economy info is so bleak etc. I also find if I do Pilates more than once a week I feel so much better and lastly I put on Spotify and do some colouring or painting while drinking a huge mug of tea :smile:

4 Likes

Go for a walk. We have the river not far from us and so peaceful, listening to the water over the stones.

6 Likes

I practise Mindfulness every day, and have done since 2016. And as Caroline mentions above, going for a walk (and we too have the river within walking distance) is always good. If you can, while walking, take note of what you are noticing through each of your senses in turn ie ‘What are my eyes taking in, what can I hear, what can I smell’, and so on, spending a little time with each of your senses. I find this diverts my mind into taking in what is happening in the moment, rather than worrying about the future or rehashing the past.

6 Likes

I go and sit down and read. Last year I made a nice sitting area on the upstairs landing with a settee and plants, make a latte and go up there for a bit to relax.

8 Likes

Yes @SeaPinkCards great idea to stop listening to news about economy. I have also tried Pilates but struggled not very good at yoga either hoping by end of the month I can touch my toes.

Walking is a great idea to @Caroleecrafts @JudyAdams I have heard of mindfulness but did not know what it involves. I will give this a go!

@beaniehats sounds wonderful to have a nice sitting area to relax, I am not a big reader but appreciate this can be very positive!

6 Likes

Get out of London for a few hours when I can to a place that’s only 30 mins on train, but out in the green countryside with lavender fields and a little river walk…bliss :blush: Walking in green spaces or by water is always a great way to live in the moment, blow out the cobwebs and de-stress I find.

5 Likes

I’m very lucky that I have my art, my garden, my allotment and my horse, all of them are my go to for stress/anxiety relief, plus I’m also very lucky to live right in the middle of the ‘National Forest’ so have easy walking access to miles and miles of traffic free walking, walking in green space is a huge stress reliever and has been scientifically proved to have health benefits for everyone.
All of those things force me to live ‘ in the moment’ and stop the constant churn of worry that comes from watching the news.
I tried yoga once but did my back in pushing myself too far!

6 Likes

I also don’t listen to the news & haven’t done for a couple of years now but I also don’t buy into the materialistic / consumerist lifestyle generally.
I get out in the garden, practice tai chi and meditation for relaxation.

8 Likes

I crochet. I find it incredibly relaxing.

And I meditate. Same result.

5 Likes

Walks and fresh air are definitely a great idea. Also trying some different type of craft or creation helps a lot. Even if I just watch videos without making anything takes my mind off things. I always trust that inspiration will come back at the right time so I don’t get too stressed.

5 Likes

Great topic!!

When I get the chance I do self healing (reiki), meditation, art. BUT as I have 3 young children I hardly get any time to do that so to de-stress we go on family walks to woodlands. As long as there is traffic free space with trees, foliage and wildlife. We all decompress around the trees :heart:

Getting all my ducks in a row also helps me (not literally .imagine trying to line up ducks :rofl:) I don’t create lists but I try and get at least one thing completed so I feel better

5 Likes

I find my sewing and knitting is very relaxing. I will “play with my fabric” i.e. see which small pieces I can use up and sort them out. This can take a whole afternoon.

8 Likes

For me it’s sitting in the garden with a cup of tea, can’t beat it.

5 Likes

Go in the garden if the weather is nice - if not it’s a bit of telly. I love watching old films and it stops me ‘overthinking creative stuff’. Re-reading a favorite book is also a nice way to ‘de-stress’. I’m afraid coffee, biscuits and chocolate also come into the equation more than often than is healthy but I do love a good biccy!

5 Likes

Me too I need a bit a chocolate!

2 Likes

If you love chocolate you need to buy from The Oban Chocolate company. Best chocs ever.

3 Likes

Thanks. Just looked them up delicious :yum:

2 Likes

This is a lovely topic. I have my art which is very therapeutic. It helped me going through difficult times in the past and it’s my go-to activity to detach from the outside world. I enjoy walking, I am also a National Trust member and we have lots of gardens to visit here in Devon and I have my allotment to keep me busy - I enjoy everything about it from weeding and taking care of plants to harvesting and preserving.
I also love cakes! Baking them and eating them :yum:

5 Likes

I’m loving this thread too. Totally agree about the National Trust, we are members too and are lucky to have many areas and lovely properties and of course the famous Giants Causeway in Co. Antrim. It’s another world!

3 Likes