Weekly Art Chat thread W/C 17th August

Good morning, that building is stunning, would love to visit :slight_smile: off to plymouth today with work, looking forward to a firework display on the harbour which just happens to be on too so a bonus! have a lovely day everyone :smile:

1 Like

Good Morning everyone, it seems very quiet in here this week. Hope you are all busy being creative.

I had a great day yesterday. Had a fun painting session - very productive too.

This what I painted. Iā€™m calling it Patchwork Sunflower, it was inspired by my Zentangle drawing also shown here. I know Brenda and Margaret have seen these on Facebook and I thank you for your comments :slight_smile:

It was really fun and relaxing to do ā€¦ I may do more, both the tangles and the patchwork style pieces. This one will be for sale - I may even pop it in my shop here.

3 Likes

Morning allā€¦the rain has arrived here today but there is a beautiful rainbow out over the seaā€¦very vivid and pretty.
I hope to do some painting laterā€¦

Morning all. Lovely to see your patchwork sunflower on here Hazel, it really is amazing! :smile:

1 Like

Thank you Margaret :smile: Iā€™m rather pleased with it myself lol
Enjoy your painting Brenda :slight_smile:

@Louisa15 Margaret it was four years ago I shipped you my first ever online sale of Art In Wax, wow where does the time go ā€¦

1 Like

One of yesterdayā€™s paintingsā€¦I did 4 all on a flowery theme.

3 Likes

Afternoon all :smile:

Iā€™ve been busy wading through my pile of commissions (people are buying Christmas gifts already LOL) so didnā€™t get much time to chat last week.

Wow, 4 years Hazel - that means I must have had Dandelionā€™s Gallery on here for about 3 and a half years, as I had a different chop before then.

I must save some money up for renewing my Plus account - it runs out this afternoon, and I do like the flexibility of it. I managed to get some new things listed before it runs out - phew! I would renew it straight away, but have had a lot of bills this month.

Iā€™ve been listing some of my new range of lead holders:

And have been updating the photos on my portrait listings:

Some lovely work on this thread, but my laptop is running a b it slow so itā€™s taking ages to scroll through things (it was updating itself earlier, and always goes slow after that) - I can see as far back as Brendaā€™s blue flower painting (gorgeous as always) and Hazelā€™s patchwork sunflower (very creative, I like that style) - but apologies to everyone else, I know Iā€™ve liked looking at the work, just canā€™t scroll that far back up the thread at present.

Right, back to the commissions listā€¦no rest for the wicked!

5 Likes

Hi all.

Here is my latest encaustic art flower paintingā€¦

https://folksy.com/items/6701413-An-Original-Encaustic-Art-Rose-Fantasy-Impression-Painting-With-GLITTER-018-

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really lovely - I love the dramatic colouring.

Hi all!
Congratulations on your four years of Art in Wax sales, Hazel! :slight_smile:
I like all the flower work today - such a great range of styles and vibrant colour from Kelly, Brenda and Hazel.
Sara, the dog portraits are brilliant and I admire the list of birds and animals you can paint!
Waving, Margaret, Max and Stephie! I hope that I havenā€™t missed anyone out!
Iā€™ve just listed this:

3 Likes

evening everyone, just back from London, originally had been going to Plymouth butt he meeting go moved at the last minute to London! am shattered now though long day.

Congrats on the milestone Hazel, my anniversary is in November, Iā€™ll have been here for 5 years, hard to believe itā€™s really been that long! love the patchwork tangles too

Gorgeous colours in that one Brenda, love the deep blue

Neat idea Sara, and the pet portraits are brilliant, good to see you are busy I saw you on the best sellers list this week too, so congrats to you :smile:

Hey Kelly nice to see you, thatā€™s a great dramatic piece, looks oriental

Lovely flowers Pat, I like the way you have photographed them too

Waving hi to Margaret :wave:. Off to lie down now got a bit of a headache, and son is stranded in Longleat, car broke down in the lion enclosure!!! recovery vehicle on the way so itā€™ll be a stressful wait until he is home :(. Back in the morning I expect

Hi allā€¦

Thank-you for the lovely comments on my latest encaustic flower paintingā€¦I very much appreciate themā€¦there are more to come :slight_smile:

quick update to say son arrived home safe and sound, Iā€™m off to bed now early night :sleeping:

2 Likes

Oh wow Maxā€¦that could have been quite scary !!! Did he get towed or did he have to get out of one vehicle to anotherā€¦(RUN!!!)ā€¦oh myā€¦lad he is safe.!!
Waving to everyoneā€¦
Just listed this one

2 Likes

Everyoneā€™s been busy havenā€™t they.
Very lovely work everyone- I think Iā€™ve come in a bit late to comment on everything.

Iā€™ve been busy finishing off some work too.
This oneā€™s a bit of word play- I like switching swear words with knitting/sewing terms.

2 Likes

waving Lowriā€¦
I think it best if we DONā€™T mention people individually because it is easy to miss someone out and that can be hurtful. Much easier to just acknowledge all the beautiful work in generalā€¦and then chat about art.
We all have different styles and different likes and dislikes and I sometimes felt awkward saying how nice a picture was when it wasnā€™t my ā€œthing!ā€.
I am sure that we ALL appreciate each otherā€™s talentā€¦no matter whether we personally like the work or notā€¦
Look at some of the art in exhibitions that commands huge payments and I think is ā€œcr**ā€ā€¦but that is just MY opinion. Then I see amazing work that people dismiss. I know on one of the fb art pages there is a brilliant portrait artist who is SOOOOO talented. He entered a competition and didnā€™t even get past the first roundā€¦he was SO upset and nearly gave upā€¦it is difficult to understand why some talented people donā€™t get reconition when otherā€™s doā€¦but that is the nature of art. So Kelly and I will only acknowledge work on here as a general messge. We do love what everyone does but want to make sure that no one is offended. I remember in my knitting daysā€¦I was taught how to sew up neatly and make beautiful bands and finish off my work properly. I was teaching at Adult education centres in London and had a student who knitted two squares. She sewed up (badly) two inches for each shoulder and 4 inches for the side seamsā€¦she took a pile of these tops to market in London and took more money in one day, than I got paid for a whole term !!!..so we have to apprectiate that we all have different likes and dislikesā€¦it was a lesson learnt for me !

2 Likes

Absolutely! Taste is so personal- but I appreciate anyones hard work.

Iā€™m personally not so offended if someone doesnā€™t like my stuff- if someone is nice and polite about it of corse. Iā€™ve always thought youā€™re doing something wrong if you donā€™t push anyones buttons. I did a little exhibition at the back of a shop I stock and the feedback was great- some loved my stuff, some people said it wasnā€™t something theyā€™d have on their wall but they where intruiged and interested in the pieces and it was all really positive. One lady however left ā€˜offendedā€™ and thought I was disturbed and had a traumatic childhood- ithat made me chuckle. :smile:
Does anyone else find its their own opinions on their work that knocks their confidence far more than a negative review from a stranger? I can go from being really confident about what Iā€™m doing to sinking into a black hole within one bad day of drawing.

Interesting Lowriā€¦I love getting discussions goingā€¦(lol)ā€¦
I can be quite sensitiveā€¦and I know that others on this thread are the sameā€¦it is a very difficult subjectā€¦
That is why I made the decision not to individually make comments.
It would be interesting to hear what others sayā€¦
I sometimes hate my work and otherā€™s like itā€¦then like my work and otherā€™s hate itā€¦lolā€¦
The main point about art is to enjoy doing it. There is one man on fb who does very child like paintings and I think might be ā€œSpecial needs!ā€ā€¦he gets very despondent when his work doesnā€™t sell and I try to encourage him to understand that it gives HIM pleasureā€¦and I also show him work of some of the famous artists who do similar naive art that sells for thousands of poundsā€¦everyone of us is different.
I used to have great trouble understanding some of the art that people do in art journals ā€¦I loved it but found the faces and bodies ā€œoddā€ā€¦yet I really DID like itā€¦that sort of scrambled my brainā€¦ha haā€¦and they sell well tooā€¦Isnā€™t it good that we all like different things !

Just dashing through to say fab work everyone. Not well yesterday had to go home early and things going on at work today. I came in to find my desk was in a different block!! Still doing the same job though. Must dash!

1 Like