Weekly Art Chat thread W/C 17th August

Hi all…

Here is another one of my encaustic art flower paintings…

https://folksy.com/items/6702075-An-Original-Encaustic-Art-Rose-Fantasy-Impression-Painting-With-GLITTER-019-

2 Likes

Good morning, oh my Margaret that must have been a bit of a surprise. I’m not often in my office base these days and whn I do go in though more often than not my desk has been used and left messy, but at least noone has moved me lol!.

I try to comment on everyones work, but it is difficult especially as I am here so infrequently, but seeing others being comfortable with not commenting individully makes me a bit more relaxed about it. If I really like something I ‘love’ the listing and often pin and stumble too, and I’m more than happy to join in with discussions when I’m around.

Just listed this one, you may find it familiar if you are on FB as it’s the one I entered into a competition and came 5th, I ummed and ahhed whether to keep it but have finally decided to let it go :smile:

1 Like

I like to try to comment on everything if I have time. Even if something isn’t to my personal taste, there’s almost always something positive to say. I know that on occasion I’ve posted work to the thread that I’ve put my heart into and it’s disheartening when the next poster doesn’t mention it and just posts and runs. I must understand though that not everyone has the time to comment.

Max, that owl is outstanding, and I can understand you selling it mounted and framed as yupo can seem a bit of an unsubstantial surface without the benefit of something solid around it.

Kelly, I love your glittery rose, very pretty.

Lowri, the expression on your girl’s face is really amusing, looks like a typical teenager!

Fab boating landscape Brenda, very beautiful

Pam, I thought at first glance your lovely flowers were clematis, but a closer look says they aren’t. I’ve not heard of Platycodon plants but they are very pretty, and I’ve learnt something today!

Sara, your pet portraits are outstanding, love the expression of the top dog and the shine on the fur of the other two.

I think that’s everyone, apologies to anyone/anything I’ve missed!

3 Likes

Hi everyone, the thread is looking lovely with lots of great work, I especially like Pam’s flower ACEO :smile:

Thank you for all the congrats on my fours years, the time has flown by … Glad you like my Patchwork Sunflower, I have had a good week in the studio this week, and I’m totally addicted to this zentangle art style and have today ordered some pens to use and do more, I also like bringing elements of this “pattern” style into my wax - works too … this is my latest piece

Hope you are having a better day Margaret :slight_smile: @Louisa15

4 Likes

Hi all.

Great work from everyone. Thank-you Louisa for your kind comment. It’s much appreciated :smile:

Here is another one of my fantasy flower paintings…

https://folksy.com/items/6702251-An-Original-Abstract-Encaustic-Art-Fantasy-Flower-Painting-With-GLITTER-001-

1 Like

Afternoon, waving hi to everyone :slight_smile: :wave just saw your lovely flowers on the front page Kelly :). I saw yur knigfisher on FB Hazel the wax version is lovely with great texture

I have just been to Hobby Craft to spend my birthday money tehe! got some pebeo paints going to try them this afternoon, they have a whole new section just for mixed media in the cardiff one I was in heaven :wink:

1 Like

Afternoon everyone, I’m flying by again. Don’t seem to have chance to sit down much these days!

On the theme of commenting, I think if we don’t comment on absolutely everything it will make it less daunting for newbies to join. That said, if I have time, I do like to comment where I can. Like Margaret, I like to find something positive in everyone’s work even if I don’t like the whole thing - although that is very rare as I have eclectic tastes.

Everything on here is as always amazing, and a couple really stand out for me: Lowri I LOVE that one, the word substitution really makes it I think; and Hazel your patterned kingfishers are a fab new direction.

Max enjoy your pebeo paints - I love mine (the mixed media ones) and have just ordered a few more sets so that I can demonstrate them to my art group in September/October.

We (my art group) were sketching this morning at a friend’s house. It was too wet to go outside…

4 Likes

Thanks @StephanieGuy! I don’t like being to vulgar in my pieces, so I love replacing the worst words with quite nice words. I love your lamp!

Nice work again everyone- your birds are lovely @HazelRayfield and @paperchainsandbeads

I’ve got a few pieces on the go at the moment, I don’t know whether they’ll be successful or not until inking.

Afternoon all…miserable weather here…
Max, I have a lot of pebeo paints and I really like them …I have the ones in jars (acrylic) and I have that huge set of 40 acrylic tubes that they do…it was fun watching the postman put it through the letter box as it was one VERY LONG parcel…all laid out side by side.
Just listed this aceo

2 Likes

Oh great, thanks Max! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh @twinkleandgloomart Lowri you’re in the ‘find the unique and unusual on folksy’ newsletter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay! :smiley: I’ve never been featured in a newsletter before. :smiley:

2 Likes

Evening all :smile:

Mx - love that owl :slight_smile: I was going to join in that challenge but ran out of time lol. I have a half painted owl ACEO sat on my table now. Well done on coming 5th - there’s always a lot of entries for that challenge, so that’s a great position :smile:

Hazel, I do like the zentangle kingfisher. Is the wax one intentionally just blue? I kind of miss the splash or orangey red that comes on their fronts, although it’s still a good image.

Kelly - another bold flower painting - I’ve not tried any on black card, is it easy to get the colours to show up?

Stephie, I like that sketch, what did you use to do it? Just pen and ink? The shadow looks quite textured, which is a good effect.

Twinkle and Gloom - lookimg forward to seeing those finished :smile:

Brenda - that looks a lovely mysterious woodland. I want to own some woods! It’s my ambition :slight_smile: Well, one of my ambitions :smile:

I just added up how many individual items I have on my to do list…107! Have had 2 large orders of pet signs, one large order of pet baubles, and lots of individual things ordered…gulp! If I’m not on here much for a week or two that will be why…

3 Likes

Thank you all for the comments on my birdie, yes Sara I was trying to keep to the limited palette, blues and silver although there is a hint of gold near his eye.

Congrats Lowri well done on the feature :smile:

Hope you all have a good weekend

Hazel

2 Likes

Wow Sara you ARE busy - don’t panic!

The lamp sketch was done with a brown sharpie, a golden brown and a cream iridescent oil pastel and then watercolour washes on top. The texture was created by adding salt crystals to wet paint.

Congratulations Max on the competition, sorry I didn’t mention it earlier, I completely missed it.

Lol Brenda I can imagine you sat on the other side of the door giggling. Lovely colours in your woodland.

I need to start thinking about my next magazine article, this one will be Monet’s waterlilies. Deadline approaching :confused:

1 Like

Well done Sara on being so busy, and good luck with all that work!

I do like how you’ve done that lamp Stephie, you make an ordinary object interesting. Good luck with the magazine article

Beautiful woodland Brenda.

We’re having a concrete ramp put into the back yard today so Mum can have a scooter, hope it doesn’t rain too much to spoil it!

1 Like

Hi Sara.

In answer to your question, I use light colours then blend in a bit of dark. It seems to work lol :slight_smile:

Afternoon, all! :smile:
Something very different from me today, inspired by my visit to the Escher exhibition (a lot of his tessellating work was on display):

1 Like

Afternoon all
great work…
My listing to day…

Tessellating, that’s a new word for me! Very pretty Pam I like it! What kind of pencils did you use?

Pretty landscape Brenda.