Weekly Art Chat w/c 7th July

To start you off on the holiday theme!!!

This is where I would like to go for a holiday.
aceo size destined for someone’s album!
Jeanie x

1 Like

That’s beautiful Jeanie, and it’s true, summer holidays don’t have to include beaches. It can mean whatever we want it to mean :smile:

@StephanieGuy
" Summer holidays gets my vote. Anyone else? "

Great idea … So do we paint / draw whatever, specify for the challenge ? What’s the time frame?

This sounds like fun :slight_smile:

Hazel … I’m in

Maybe one challenge a month?

Hi everyone. Looks like we’re all having ups and downs this week. I like to ‘like’ each post I read but going through the thread today I got a message to say I’d exceeded my liking limit! I’m not sure I want my liking limited, I like to like as often as I like and I like a lot of things.

I was delighted to make a Folksy sale too - one of my Bumblebees. And it was to a new customer, another Folksy seller which I also take as a great compliment. However, I’d lent some of my work to a local florist to be used in a display in church as part of our village fete. When I went to collect it they’d had a spill and a couple of my things got damaged - including the Bumblebee. So I’ve had to disappoint the buyer - so embarrassed.

In better news, we went to G00dw00d Fe$tival of $peed and I cheekily gave out some of my Moo cards. One of the exhibitors has contacted me with a commission for a Land Rover. It has given me some trouble (it has a very intricate radiator grill) but I’m progressing well now. It’s for use on their web site and in their marketing brochures so fingers crossed they like it.

Let’s hope this week continues to improve - for everyone :smile:

Gaynor

2 Likes

evening all, whoooshhh can you tell I have new super fast broadband :slight_smile:

I’m up for a challenge even better to do something completely different and summer holidays sounds great

2 Likes

Max you’re going so fast I nearly missed you :smile:

@BeeGardenArt Gaynor how awful to have to disappoint! Did you offer to paint a replacement? Congrats on your landrover commission.

2 Likes

Here’s my summer holiday offering. A quick sketch with my new coloursoft pencils, done over with Inktense to make it a bit brighter and more interesting. Anyone know where this is? Hint, Brenda or Max might know??

Gaynor that’s so disappointing for you! Did you see Bruno Senna at Goodwood? He’s my hero! :blush:

3 Likes

Could it be somewhere in Wales perhaps? Very nice holiday landscape Margaret! x x

1 Like

It is indeed Jeanie! It’s actually Llandudno, where I was on holiday a couple of months ago :smile:

I used a photo I took from the Great Orme, looking down on the bay.

1 Like

Wow you’re quick off the mark Margaret! Lovely sketch, it must be somewhere on the south Wales coast. I’ve only been to the Tenby area on that stretch, a long time ago, and i can’t recall whether there’s a jetty or not… Is it there?

1 Like

Ah you put the answer up whilst I was typing! I love Llandudno.

I thought mentioning Max and Brenda would give it away that it’s in Wales. I didn’t really expect anyone to recognise it as Llandudno!lol

I wanted to strike while the iron was hot as it were. This weekend I’m hoping to carry on with those Frilly Tulips I’ve been working on.

I’ve just bought some Winsor and Newton inks at 1984 prices that Cass Art were offering. They were out of stock but they sent me a message today to say they had some more and would honour the price. While I was shopping I took advantage of their sale and have bought some Inktense blocks and some Derwent Artbars. I’m stocking up on art supplies! :smile:

2 Likes

Great painting Margaret :smile:

Morning everyone …

I have been trying to take a photo this morning but the light is bad so I’ve done one but not happy so won’t be listing my Azalea until I take a better picture …

You may have seen this painting before, I did it 2 years ago as the plant was a gift for my 50th birthday, but its been stored away and I thought it needed a revisit so its had a gentle makeover and mounted ready to list …

1 Like

How Hazel that’s absolutely gorgeous!

Margaret if you have any trouble with the artbars let me know. I love them now but had a difficult time getting to know how to use them best. Inktense blocks are fab, I use mine like watercolour, but they’re so vibrant. And you can use them on fabric like the one you bought from me, just pick up the ink from the block and paint away!

I don’t have any w&n inks so will be interested to hear what you think of them. Are they waterproof or watersoluble? Cass Art have had some fab offers on lately.

Hazel I’m struggling with photos at the moment too :confused: Pretty flowers.

1 Like

We had a visitor to our bird bath

1 Like

I think you said it was best to use the artbars when it’s warm?

The W&N inks are water soluble until they’re dry then they’re water resistant. I’m hoping to use them for line and wash work. That’s the plan anyway! :smile:

1 Like

It very much depends how you want to use them. For pastel like work where you blend with your finger they absolutely have to be warm. My favourite method nowadays is to use them like watercolour pans and/or to flick paint from the end of the block.

1 Like

Has anyone seen the new watercolour marker pens from W&N? I’m sorely tempted…

1 Like