Weekly art chat. w/c June 30th

LOL … enjoy the challenge Stephie, look forward to seeing what you create … be brave lol

1 Like

No painting for me today, been doing chores and a bit in the garden, our lavender is so gorgeous at the moment, and I managed to snap a photo of a bee on one of the stems, just posted it on FB …

Bit ironic maybe as I love to paint lavender in beeswax :wink:

1 Like

afternoon all, well done Margaret. Go for it Stephie, they are a bit dusty though I have a set i take on holidays with me easy to sketch with :smile:

just finished 5 new photo albums and 4 ACEO’s :slight_smile: had a lovely day to myself

3 Likes

That’s a good idea Max, if I view them as simply another sketching tool I should be OK. I don’t like the dusty feeling of pastels, hopefully these will be better as they’re in pencil format.

2 Likes

Hmmm I’m not impressed so far…The white doesn’t cover the other colours and the lines aren’t as sharp as I hoped. I’ll have to try again with a larger sketch, maybe a one inch high sketch was too much to expect for my first go! Back in a mo with a pic, I’m on my phone and it’s not playing fair…

Edit: a couple of hours later…technology and a pounding head have defeated me. Cup of Berry tea and bed for me.

2 Likes

Oh dear Stephie that doesn’t sound good :frowning: Hope you feel better tomorrow.

I’ve got to take Dad to the hospital tomorrow for an assessment. I’ll leave him and Mum there and go to Nantwich till they call me to pick them up so I won’t be around most of the day.

1 Like

I just listed a new butterfly sketch. It was intended to be purely sepia, but it turned out the waterbrush had some of the black ink on it still so it ended up with a blue/pink background which I think looks quite good - serendipity!

and here is my one inch high pastel sketch. Sitting it in my sketch book amongst other sketches and designs took away all the fear :smiley:

3 Likes

Great to see your sketches Stephie, I love seeing how people work :slight_smile:

Pretty butterfly too …

I have taken the plunge this morning … now have a plus account here on folksy :slight_smile:

I have decided to keep folksy as my mine outlet, for the next year anyway, I will list on Etsy but more the Art I feels sells internationally and of course I will be keeping my own Art In Wax website shops but here will be my main stock store :slight_smile:

So you will be seeing even more of me me here lol

Lots to list and sort out now … back later

Hazel

2 Likes

That’s great news Hazel :slight_smile: I highly recommend the daily listing thread. It’s hard work but gets you lots of exposure on pinterest, Twitter and of course the front page. I do my clicking and hearting in several chunks throughout the day, can’t face it when it gets to 60+ posts to catch up on.

1 Like

Thanks Stephie … its a big step but I’m ready now and yes I will join in the daily listing thread, just to be clear, do I post a item each day? or does it have to be a new listing each day? not sure how it works really

1 Like

Morning ladies…lovely paintings Stephie
As I understand it, the daily “listing” thread is for newly listed items…I have done it for the last 3 months but not doing it for July as sales have slumped too much to make it viable during the summer. However, I don’t think they mind if you miss days here and there…just list as often as you can…
I will go back to the other thread for weekly listings, although I hope to list two or three times a week…so I need a thread somewhere in between those two…lol…

1 Like

You can put newly listed or relisted items on the daily listing thread, but you only stand a chance of getting on the most loved bit of the front page if it’s a new listing. It’s a personal challenge so it doesn’t matter if you miss a day here or there, and July and August might be hit and miss as people take their holidays. You don’t have to promote everything on there - some people put 4 or 5 listings on each day. I promote the same number from each shop as I put on the thread - usually just one.

1 Like

Just been doing some maths…I recently cut down to listing just Mon- Fri…and not at weekends (due to poor sales as I would have been out of pocket) so that is 5 x 18p = 90p
times that by 52 = £46 .80 which means that I would only save £1.80 by signing up for the plus account…
and that is without considering a week’s holiday here and there.
I accept that it would mean I could list more paintings but as I list elsewhere, I am not sure I could paint fast enough to list more than one a day…so not worth it to me I don’t think.
If sales were higher I would probably “go for it” but when I tried the daily listings and did it 7 days a week, sales were no better, so I doubt if 2 a day would alter that.
Sticking to the ordinary account it is then !

1 Like

Thanks Brenda and Stephie … to be honest I will do as much as I can, but I don’t think I will be listing every day but going to try and keep up this month at least lol

I am thinking of the plus account as an investment, and giving it a try is all we can do :smile:

3 Likes

I’d be interested to know if it works out beneficial Hazel…
If we could churn out dozens of items a week on a regular basis (AND SELL THEM) it would obviously be worthwhile…just not sure that us artists could keep up with it for a whole year…lol

1 Like

I don’t intend to churn out anything … in fact I am now taking longer with each piece I paint than ever before.

Lots of artists on here have a plus account and I listing a fair bit so thought I would give this option a try, it also has the benefit of the featured items and for me it will mean an ease of keeping track of items …

I guess we will have to see if I can make my investment pay :slight_smile:

1 Like

morning all, nice to see you on the daily thread Hazel, you can show anything on the the daily listing thread be it a new listing, or a re-listed one, so even if you don’t have anything new with a plus account you can just re-list it and show an older one. That’s what I do when I’m running out of new stock, gosh I never would have kept up with the dailies if I had to have something new every day lol, shop would be busting at the seams lol!. My advice to really make the plus account pay is to use the re-list facility at least once a day that helps to keep your items near the top of searches and they also pop up in the ‘recently listed’ items. I try to re-list at least 30 items a day most days.

crickey that was a ramble. Hope your dad’s checkup is fine Margaret and enjoy your day in Nantwich

This is one of the photo/scrap albums I made yesterday with the blue butterfly illustration

1 Like

Thank you Max that is great advice … I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m on a mission to make the most of this account … off to take new photos now of some new and some older pieces so i can fill my shelves so to speak :wink:

Love the Album, I do like the cogs and the steam punk feel, I have a couple of pieces of flamehaired Hazel steam puck jewellery which I love :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will watch with interest Hazel.
Thought I would do some statistics.
Here and on the other side, I list equally…
On the other side, my fees for the last year were £9.08 LESS
On the other side I made more than twice as much profit.
That is such a shame because I really do love Folksy, but sadly I think it is because they choose to stay “British”.
I myself, LOVE the idea of being very BRITISH and am very patriotic. However it is my only source of income and I don’t have a work’s pension. So I have to go where the money is. I am sure that a lot of those who work or have been employed for a long time are not aware how difficult it is to make ends meet. That is not being detrimental to them…it is just a plain fact. I AM fortunate that our house is paid for but our bills are still high and hubby’s pension only pays for the main bills. I have to pay for the food, clothes, car etc…in fact I think the car might have to go soon. My food bill is more than my pension and it is thanks to painting sales that we run the car. We are not extravagant and have never had foreign holidays.
I just wish I knew a way to get Folksy “out there” as it really IS my favourite place to be. I do my part with flyers, ads, and mentions on facebook etc but it isn’t quite enough. So I have to think like a business woman. sometimes it is a good job that I love beans on toast…lol

1 Like

Couldn’t resist it once I saw it larger Max @paperchainsandbeads … its so pretty and its all mine now :wink:

2 Likes