What bought you to folksy?

Hi,

I wanted to start a new topic on what bought you to folksy?

Thanks

I had a stall at a craft fair towards the end of 2012 and a customer told me about Folksy, I had never heard of it. I went home and opened my shop, the first thing I sold was a patchwork Christmas stocking.

3 Likes

I had just opened a shop on Etsy and in the forum there saw someone mention Folksy, so opened a shop here too.
I much prefer it here, so use this as my main selling site.

2 Likes

I don’t even remember when I first heard of Folksy but I know I’ve bought from people here in the past so when I was looking for a ‘shop’ I looked at Folksy, compared it to Etsy and decided I liked the ethos of Folksy much better, it just seemed to fit better for what I wanted to achieve.

2 Likes

I found Folksy through google search whilst looking for somewhere to sell my art and cards.

3 Likes

It’s great to hear people outside the group recommended folksy and you have be on here for 10 years @plumporridge, @DeborahJonesJewellery

I also found the site through google search, I do like this platform than others I tried. I really like the community spirit and support from fellow shop stores and folksy team.

I am also amazed at the incredibly talented people showcasing their creations on here!

3 Likes

Same as @DaisyWings google.

3 Likes

Etsy kept making changes that annoyed me and it started to feel like it was costing more than I was making, so I wanted to find an alternative site to sell on and Folksy seemed the best option (I hadn’t used it before but I had heard of it from my years of online selling).
It took me two attempts though, because the first time I made a bit of a lazy effort and only listed some of my items as a test and was still promoting my Etsy shop a lot. I made a few Christmas sales but then it went quiet and I gave up… until Etsy made more changes and a friend made a comment that she always checks Folksy when she needs to buy something. I decided I’d give it a second try and this time do it properly, so I listed all of my items and completely stopped promoting Etsy because I wanted to switch my sales so I could close that shop. Thankfully it was second time lucky.

2 Likes

Freezing temps at a regular outdoor craft fair many years ago led me here - a work colleague had told me about Folksy so I thought it was time to give hypothermia the elbow and give this a go :grinning:

7 Likes

After being on Etsy for a while, Folksy seemed like the perfect fit for me - handmade UK crafts with a positive ethos. The strong community and personal responsiveness of the staff were also a pleasant surprise/bonus. Shame the sales didn’t match!!:laughing::smile:

3 Likes

I was looking for another platform to sell on and Folksy came up in search results. I hadn’t heard of it before then, but love the fact it is UK based and such a friendly atmosphere.

5 Likes

I found Folksy, like others via a Google search. I needed an online outlet to sell my cards and I checked out Etsy too, but I didn’t go ahead there as I found it a really saturated market place, particularly for cards. I was so impressed when I started looking at the Folksy site and all the incredible items on here and being UK based it seemed much better to me. My cards are mostly one off’s, I don’t have a massive stock built up and only occasionally make the same card more than once or twice. I feel this is a good fit for me on Folksy and I really like the community here. Thanks everyone and fingers crossed for lots of sales! x

4 Likes

I found a wonderful lady on Etsy when I first started bear making, her name is Claire Philips from Hope Jacare Designs. She use to source fabrics for me and we became online friends, she offered so much help and advice when i first started selling and I mentioned I had stumbled over Folksy online whilst looking at bears, it turned out she also had a Folksy shop at that time. I asked her whether she would recommend it and she said yes, definately. Claire has since closed her shop as it was difficult running both shops with the same items as well as her own website, blog and now a shop. I originally opened an Etsy shop but closed after joining Folksy in 2018. Like many others I also liked the fact it was UK sellers only.

4 Likes

Yes one off items first attracted me to Etsy as a buyer. It’s nice to give gifts that are made with care and not mass produced. When I need to buy a card I will be looking at your store.

Yes I hope everyone enjoys sales soon! :orange_heart::heart:

2 Likes

I think your tealights will make great gifts. I hope you do well :blush: best of luck with your shop.

2 Likes

I had bought from sellers on Folksy before. Started listing my own stuff on Etsy, to no avail, so thought that as I’d already used Folksy as a customer, that I may as well have a go setting up my own shop :grinning:

4 Likes

I got fed up with Etsy, it’s just too huge for me. I love the idea of Folksy being for UK and craft business only.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you, I checked out Etsy at first and its just overwhelming and saturated with items. I make cards and yes there are thousands on Folksy but there are millions on Etsy lol :slight_smile: I want to support UK small businesses too x

4 Likes

Like LouiseHunterHandmade I find Folksy’s focus on UK businesses and genuine handmade crafts great - that and the fact the community is really friendly. I still sell on other sites but they are big and impersonal, you’re just a cog in a machine but Folksy is different - I appreciate the Folksy ethos and even though I don’t get as many sales as I would like, I still love being here.

4 Likes

I looked at etsy and folksy when I was trying to decide how to sell online and I quickly decided I much preferred the echos off folksy. Much more friendly and approachable and I loved the idea of it being UK based and everything handmade. Never regretted my decision.

5 Likes