What's everyone cooking for tea? :)

Hi, what’s everyone planning for their tea tonight. I need inspiration :slight_smile: x

I spent a chunk of the morning prepping beetroot for making chutney but some of them are going to become beetroot/ wasabi soup. Tea tonight may well involve chips and possibly sausages - I think there are some venison ones in the freezer - its been a while since I indulged and I’m feeling lazy.

2 Likes

Yesterday I had chicken pie, veg and a chips, no idea today but it has to be a big treat as I have a cold and Im feeling sorry for myself.

1 Like

Spag bol for us tonight…

2 Likes

Home made falafels (chickpeas mixed with harrisa, coriander and other spices then pan fried) and put in a pitta bread with salad and salsa. :blush: It’s yummy.

I always use the BBC Good Food website for inspiration. Used it for years and I love it.

1 Like

Pan friend sea bass with new potatoes, garlic spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and maybe some other veg too (love my veg!).

1 Like

As I have band practice and DH does the techie bits and has a tech rehearsal afterwards we are planning on something quick and tastie.

So we are having mushroom and herb omelettes with some salad…

I might have a wee bit of grated cheese on mine as well. I’ve really cut back on my cheese intake since January as I was eating it far too often ( everyday :blush: ) in rather large quanities… I’ve only had cheese 5 times since 1st January.

2 Likes

Oooh that sounds yummy Eileen, you’ve given me ideas,think we’ll have omelette for tea.

Quick & easy chicken goujons and salad for us today :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve been naughty and went to McDonald’s :blush: We don’t go very often, in fact I think it’s over a year since we last went but I just fancied a chicken chilli wrap with fries :fries:

2 Likes

I just had a lovely surprise. My OH just brought in Chinese food. Yay no cooking tonight

4 Likes

I was abit naughty too. We grabbed a takeaway to take home on the way back from shopping.
I had a burger & chips and my hubby had a chicken kebab with a portion of mushrooms.
Very nice but I do feel like I’ve had abit too much salt. I can’t stop drinking water :blush: :hamburger:

3 Likes

I think I might do a tuna salad. I like a salad with everything on, including coronation cauli, raspberry jelly beetroot, cucumber in onion and vinegar, potato salad with gherkins, rice with sundried tomatoes and roasted pepper. I’ve made myself dribble haha Hopefully the sun will stay out so I can enjoy it in the garden with a Martini :smiley:

1 Like

A bit late for this post, but yesterday I did a Rogan Josh, with lamb. It was delicious. I always cook my curries in the slow cooker when it comes to the bit that says simmer for 2 hours, it all then goes in a warmed up slow cooker.
To go with this curry my OH made some cabbage bharjis, they were lovely.
I also made some chilly jam in the morning to go with this meal.

Saturday is always steak night for us, steak, chips, onions, mushrooms, can’t wait.

3 Likes

Random but linked- I remember a BBC article a good while ago saying that the majority of the UK (always hate those kinds of generalisations) can only remember about 5 different recipes and generally have pretty much the same things week in week out- not just a roast on a Sunday but like, every Monday is the same, every Tuesday etc.

I found that really surprising! I’m not a major fan of cooking but I get bored really easily and do love food, and love to try new food! 95% of what I cook is from scratch and I always make sure that no matter how busy my day has been, I cook a meal- granted there’s just me and my husband to cook for, but I always make a point even if it’s just something quick. I use the BBC good food website and add recipes to my ‘binder’ on there- so far I’ve tried over 200 recipes in the last 2 years. I also use the sainsburys magazine every month, Pinterest for ideas and have a few cook books. We obviously have favourite meals that we’ll have once or twice a month but I do make a point of trying new things.

Just wondering what everyone else is like? I find social things like this quite interesting. :blush: Especially when you see that food/health related things are the most pinned/searched things on the Internet!

1 Like

The OH and I probably recycle the same 5 dishes eg veg on pasta, omelette, noodles albeit in a different order each week but the flavourings will vary and tend to seasonal (the joy of the allotment). Our issue is time or lack there of in the evenings during the week (we seem to take it in turns to go to something in the evening), by 8pm when we are finally (probably) both home we don’t want to be thinking about food and so just go back to the tried and tested that we know we can knock up in under 30mins. However come the weekend the experimenting can begin - I’m currently making chutney and pickled beetroot (guess what there was a surplus of down the allotment) whilst he plans a mini korean feast and rhubarb fool. Now I must away and stir a pan of very pink stuff.

2 Likes

We do tend to stick to variations of the same recipes , as a family of picky eaters it is quite hard to find things everyone will sit down together for.
Tonight my son is cooking, he is making cheese pasties,(we gave him some cookery books for his birthday last week as he is a very keen cook, but needs some basic guidance so that he has more successes than failures.)
They are looking good, but there is nothing to go with them.

2 Likes

Mmmmm, just finished a bowl of Hairy Bikers bean and vegetable casserole, delicious. I love cooking but like to make meals that will do for 2 days or more.

1 Like

Always good having a keen cook in the house! Haha
My husband and I can both cook- but I would say I do it pretty much 70% of the time- but if I don’t want to/too tired he always will. Haha although- I hope your son isn’t anything like my husband- after he has cooked it always looks like a bomb has hit the kitchen!! Haha

2 Likes

It must be a man thing,my husband and son are the same, almost every item in the kitchen gets used and then left for me to deal with .

2 Likes