What's the process if a customer doesn't want to use PayPal

Hello - newbie here! A customer has placed an order via Folksy, but doesn’t want to pay via PayPal. I’ve told her she can pay using a normal credit card without signing up to PayPal, or send me a cheque, or make a bank transfer.

Assuming she sends a cheque or pays by bank transfer, how do I mark this on Folksy?

Also, if she decides against buying but doesn’t cancel her order, what happens then? Does the order stay open on Folksy for a certain number of days before they cancel it?

Thanks for your help
Sarah

If she wants to pay by cheque you can (or at least could years ago) manually mark the order as paid (wait until the cheque has cleared before you do that), there was a little button on the order details for you to click. (this might have been done away with when stripe was added, its been that long since i had someone not pay by card). Same would apply to bank transfers. If she doesn’t pay you can drop admin an email (support@folksy.com) and they will cancel the sale, don’t think she can cancel the order herself.

1 Like

I had a problem with a sale last week, so I am up to speed with this.
If the lady sends you a cheque…clear it first and then yes there is a button to click to show that it has been paid.
If she doesn’t pay, you can also click a button under the sale to put them back into your shop.
One thing I found out too was that as soon as items are put in your basket, folksy mark the commission fees as OWING…even if the customer hasn’t paid, If you put them back in your shop then the fees are removed again. I had a problem because it was the end of the month and I didn’t want to pay fees on items that hadn’t been paid for, so I contacted the customer (who was having difficulties paying) I told her that the items were back in my shop to avoid complications with my folksy bill. I have now paid the bill, the customer was able to put the items BACK into her basket, she tried again and was able to pay successfully this time.
As far as I am aware there is also an option for customers to use a visa card which somehow goes through paypal ( but they don’t need a paypal account for this option)…it comes straight from the bank I think.
Hope that doesn’t confuse you…I wouldn’t leave the items in her basket for too long as it prevents other customers from seeing them…

2 Likes

The easiest way and it has always worked for me is to send her a paypal invoice and let her know she can pay using a card and has no need to use a paypal account. Once she has paid you mark the order as paid. Easy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies - she still hasn’t responded so I’ll leave it a while more and then get in touch with admin. I don’t want to be hit for fees on items that haven’t been bought!

ATB Sarah

1 Like

Are you signed up for Stripe, Sarah? Its still a card payment but not PayPal. Has she said why she won’t use PayPal, out of interest? I don’t understand why some folks are so against it, but assume there must have been some issues.

I am signed up for Stripe, and have suggested she uses it. She said in her message she was worried about “security issues”.

Now I"m worried about “security issues” as she hasn’t responded, and I’ve given her my bank account details and address! I know the bank account details are on cheques and there’s really not much someone can do with only those details but…

I always hope that having such a complicated name would put off the fraudsters!

I think you’ll be okay if you’ve given them your bank account number and sort code - they can’t take money out with just these, as far as I know. It might be worth a wee call to your bank though. If security is her issue, she’s turning away from a pretty secure system! If she doesn’t want to use online payment methods, then perhaps she shouldn’t order online. Paypal or Stripe gives you both a lot of security regarding payment. I’d be worried that bypassing that means proving you’ve paid is harder!

Have you actually had any response from her to one of your emails or only one via the Folksy system. If you haven’t then it is quite possible that she is not getting the email/s you send her, could very easily be in her spam or her email address could be wrong. The Folksy system does not validate it.
If you have a second email system and you haven’t yet had a direct response then I would suggest you send your message using that alternative address and you could also search for her via Google or Facebook and you might find her details there.

I also had a sale three days ago from someone who didn’t want to use PayPal. I emailed her with the alternatives and also had no response so cancelled the order. Probably just coincidental and nothing suspicious as I can’t think of any scam which could occur so maybe these are just customers who change their mind about ordering?

I’m so new, I didn’t realise I could (should?) contact her via Folksy. Durr! I went via my own email address.
I’ll try her via Folksy - thanks for alerting me to this.

Sorry no. She can contact you via Folksy, that goes to the email address you have registered with them. You can only contact using the address given on the order or on a message from her, not through Folksy .
That email you receive will have her email address on it. If you’ve received an actual normal email from her, from her email system then her address on that must be correct. However if all you have are messages from her to you via Folksy she could have typed it wrong. The most obvious problem though Is that if you have responded to her but never her to you, that your emails to her are going to her spam and best way round that is to send a message from s different email address.

Ah I see what you mean. I’m just using the address on the Folksy order. I’ll try with another email address and see what happens.
But you’d think if you were really interested in buying you’d be keeping a look out for a response.???
Mind you, I often do craft fairs and the number of people who promise that they’re coming back later but never do is pretty high.

1 Like