When taking photos

I notice that some people use props like flowers of even rocks to ‘pose’ their makes on. Does this help with people recognising your work, leading to sales?

I think it must depend on what you are photographing. My suncatchers are photographed on their own but jewellery needs something to be hung from and Fused glass dishes usually get an accessory as otherwise they look lonely and I can also better show the size.
I have no way of determining if this helps or otherwise with sales. I just photograph so my pieces look the way I think they look best.

Props can help people understand the size of an item better as they can compare it to the other objects in the photo. Even if you write all the sizes in the description, some people have trouble imagining it (or just don’t read properly). You don’t want so much it distracts from the item, or confuses people as to what is for sale, but I think a little can help, and will hopefully avoid any feedback that mentions “it was much bigger/smaller than I expected”.

2 Likes

Props can also help to set a scene. They can show a customer how the product can be used and who the target customer is. I also think it’s imporant to choose props wisely, if you’re selling an engraved hammer for a Grandad (for example) flowers probably wouldn’t be the best prop, but a piece of wood with some careful placed nails would be

3 Likes

I think props can help to set up a little environment to make it clearer what you are about, and they also add variety when you have a lot of listings showing all at once. I love seeing photos when other sellers have used props really well in their photos. However, it doesn’t have to be on every item, and as others have said, they need to be right. I know I am guilty of going overboard sometimes, but I have so many vintage bits and bats I have to hold myself back!