Worry about showing work space

That’s nothing, I make furniture in the nude and on a cold day like today nothing looks impressive in my workspace!!!

20 Likes

Oh yes I did see that video :slight_smile:

1 Like

You really need to stock up on more beads though Rachel, you’ve barely any there :smile:

2 Likes

Do you wear a gas mask though? :imp:

7 Likes

BUt that is SOOOOOOOOO Tidy Natalie…my corner of the settee space is piled high with stuff and the settee is getting worn and faded (a bit like me)…

1 Like

Ha ha ha Steven…I feel one of my cartoons coming on…

3 Likes

Wow! What a confidence boost this thread has been :wink:

I attach my bench peg to my bedroom windowsill. It means I get fantastic lighting for my work most of the year.

Here’s to irritating the OH for years to come… @Amberlilly @RuthSmithJewellery!

Love Sam x

2 Likes

Oh it’s not always like that, I tidied it especially!! I normally have bags of wool and knitting next to me, bags of wool on the floor, notepads surrounding me and plenty of coffee/cake/chocs in front of me! I end up sitting on the very end of the sofa as there’s no more room!
x

4 Likes

You look so sophisticated Natalie @MoreTeaVicarKnitwear I love the way your wool tones with your soft furnishings :blush:

1 Like

Ha, thank you, I ‘may’ have chosen my wool to match the cushions :wink: and I ‘may’ normally choose to knit in a big chunky fleece and tracky bottoms! :wink:
x

5 Likes

When I’m working I’m wearing scruffy boots (keeps feet warm and glass out), a long skirt (don’t like trousers) and sweater - usually both with attached bits of copper foil, a gilet, a fleece (but the zip has gone), fetching pink gloves and all around me is … how can I best describe it…
beyond being in need of a dust or a polish ?.
Think families of mammoth spiders, a mouse in the wood pile under the other end of the bench, glass splinters everywhere (hence the gloves) crunching under foot, overflowing tall waste bin (it always is even when just emptied which I cannot understand !), White splash from my grinder up the wall behind it, ,you get the general picture.
I am not a tidy worker :frowning:

4 Likes

Rustic Joy, you are rustic! (and that’s a good thing!)
xx

2 Likes

I don’t mind a pic of my workspace (my shed), as long as I’m not in it! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve just come back to the thread to see [quote=“stevenbowlerdesigns, post:21, topic:9821, full:true”]
That’s nothing, I make furniture in the nude and on a cold day like today nothing looks impressive in my workspace!!!
[/quote]

followed by [quote=“EileensCraftStudio, post:22, topic:9821”]
Oh yes I did see that video :smile:
[/quote]

and I feel I’ve missed out on something… :wink:

15 Likes

IT does have it’s advantages yes. I would use my study but it’s an old Victorian house and the lounge is the warmest room! Plus TV is there.

My stash, tools etc regularly go on the road, to my best friends in Norfolk, despite my beads coming to some 50 boxes; wire is packed in a craft bag in key colours and thickness; tools in a tool bag; key findings in storage boxes; plus a bag of odds and ends without a home and of course my shop pieces ready for posting in case they sell. I spend much of school holidays doing this so am expert at packing the boot of the car and still having space for my clothes! Inspiration hits and I have the time while away to create. Their lounge is as much my workspace as mine, but I have to be very tidy! Getting hard now they have a kitten, wire is terribly fun to try and catch and bite! Mine are almost 9 and can’t be bothered, unless I’m doing Viking knitting, it moves around just a bit too much to ignore.

I worried over this too when I was a featured maker back in Oct last year. I’d seen some fab photos of other makers at work but 1) I hate photos of me and 2) I work on the dining table which has horrible wall paper behind it. At first I got my husband to take some shots, and what he thought was OK, I hated. So I ended up faffing about and used a remote on the camera to take more shots. In the end I got something half decent. I think we are our own worst critics though!

2 Likes

My friend took over 50 photo’s of me, I also hate having my picture taken and pics with me in, I always feel so awkward, that’s why I only chose the ones of me looking down, so I could still sort of be hiding!
x

3 Likes

Now this is my sewing bit looking the tidiest it’s been in ages

At the moment its under the table as DH is working in my space soldering some wire’s to a circuit board

7 Likes

That’s exactly how I read it and am still laughing!!

1 Like

I’m lucky if I end up with a 6" square of space to work in!! My desk is half a wallpaper table attached to my original desk which I filled! My bed is right behind. Longest commute ever :smile:

5 Likes