2016 Diet/healthy eating

We have a jaffacake challenge at our gym - see how quickly you can burn off the calories in a jaffacake on the bike/treadmill/rowing machine…

Alas, I misunderstood, and just ate the packet as fast as I could.

4 Likes

I looked at some jaffa cakes as they were on offer in our supermarket 2for1- but I thought I wouldn’t as I can’t stop at 1 or2 with them :slight_smile:

@VioletJewellery That’s fantastic 3 stones! How much do you get for a syn? I eat fudge krispie bars fromM&S as a treat- they’re 130 cals, or milky ways or kitkats, both around 110 cals.

When you sign up to slimming they give you a book with all the values in but a syn works out to around 20cal per 1syn as a rule of thumb. You can work in half syns too so the 110 cal would be 5.5syns x

It’s our fast day today so we have had porridge with banana for breakfast, Thai carrot soup just now and then there’s egg salad for tea later. I think that’s not bad for 500 calories, although I couldn’t do it more than once a week!

2 Likes

I love my porridge for breakfast.

@plumporridge do you eat ‘normally’ on other days or do you count calories etc?

We eat normally the rest of the week Sarah, although I suppose we are a bit careful, like I only buy cakes and biscuits on high days and holidays. We are in our third year of one fast day a week and it works for us, I see it as a life long thing now, whereas I couldn’t stick to a ‘diet’ for very long at all. Off to Harvester for tea tonight, they sent us a 40% voucher so I think it would be rude not to!

1 Like

I just unknowingly added 124 calories to my food!! Im so annoyed, I was cooking onions and felt they were burning on their own so added the, what I thought was healthy, oil. 124 calories per tbspn !! Silly me.
Anyhoo, Ive made a mix of tin tomatoes, onion, mushroom, sweetcorn and baked beans which I have with a bit of fish. Quite nice and hopefully better for me than what I normally eat.
Belt notches still going down, hooray, but scales are staying the same, boo.

I’m still shrinking by tape measure and some clothes are getting very baggy. Upset that my blood pressure doesn’t appear to be going down though. I had hoped it would. Have to wait another couple of months to get my cholesterol tested again which is the main reason I’m doing this.

I read in a paper that cherry juice can reduce blood pressure. I was in a supermarket a couple of days later down the fruit juice aisle, all juices where well stocked except cherry juice which had 1 row, where there had clearly been 3 rows, but theyd all sold. Seems people had read the same article.

Im seriously considering getting a takeaway tonight, I need milk which I can get at a supermarket, which happens to be next to a takeaway, Makes sense really.

I resisted and just bought shop made equivalents that cost less and hopefully had less calories, sadly less flavour too.

I had pizza last night for the first time in ages- migraine this morning. Wondering if I’ve got intolerance to yeast.

Tonight we’ve had scrambled eggs on toast for quickness- first bread I’ve eaten this week apart from the pizza dough, so it’ll be interesting to see if I get a migraine again tomorrow.
@GrimmExhibition - did you manage to get hold of the cherry juice in the end?

@plainprimitives HI, yes I got the cherry juice tho I don’t see any blood pressure improvements, tasted good anyway.

I have been following a healthy eating plan given to me to reduce the inflammatory effects of lyme disease. It removes all food that have inflammatory values like grains, sugar (although allowed honey), dairy, nightshade vegetables…I’m losing weight, but seem to be eating more. I am amazed by how hungry (bloated) the inclusions of sugar and bread/pasta make you feel. Learning a lot about properties of food and their impact on the body is very interesting.

So impressed by all of your efforts…I think I would find it really hard if I didn’t have the cause and effect implications of my poor health, it’s all that has kept me going. One thing that really amazes me is peoples attitudes when you tell them you are on a strict diet…most people will try and tempt you with things “just as a one off”, they say rather than supporting you with making right choices. :astonished:

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

It might be the salt content in the pizza Sarah, I get that sometimes too. You’d b surprised at how much salt is in the bread dough and cheese from a takeaway pizza. I never get a headache if I make the dough from scratch myself x

1 Like

I didn’t think of thatDanielle @VioletJewellery -could well be as we don’t have much salt in our diet except in ready meals.

1 Like

Avoid the Hawaiian pizza in Pizza Express, then!
It was delicious, but I couldn’t finish my half as it was so salty… then was up all night trying to find more water!

1 Like

Bit the bullet and got on the scales at the GP’s this morning- I’ve lost 20 kilos!!! On the downside though my cholesterol has gone up and she says my particular type can’t be diet controlled :disappointed:

1 Like

Congratulations on the weight loss Sarah that’s amazing! Shame about the cholesterol tho after all of your hard work :frowning:

1 Like

I nearly have confirmation that In being invited to a pals wedding in September. I started around August last year to lose 3 stone-ish(would be happy with 2 stone) for the big day(and obviously for health benefits) and I seem to have shifted nothing.

I need to get into gear. I have discovered I like large mushrooms and roasted peppers with tuna in them.