Are your sales picking up?

October is looking good for Art In Wax and we are not even half way :slight_smile:

Sadly not one sale from my folksy shop, but I did a miniatures fair at the weekend and have sold several pieces this week via Etsy and Facebook too … So happy Hazel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I thought my sales were picking up. I sold something on the first 2 days of this month, but nothing since. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the month as October was my second best month (after November) last year.
@WashedandFound Sorry to hear your sale didn’t make it, Suzanne. That is so frustrating.
Really hoping the Christmas rush will start for everybody soon.
Pauline x

1 Like

Not sold a thing on folksy in a while, getting views but no sales. Thought i’d sold some earrings at the beginning of the month but the buyer changed mind.
Got a craft fair coming up so hopefully that will help things

I feel that changing the landing page has diminished sales. I agree,people come to browse so need a broad sweep. What annoys me with the recent finds and listed is that anything I’ve listed has stayed about ten minutes,yet there are items there that have been there for days,or they’re showcasing sold pieces. Bring back the Recently Listed feature on the landing page please???

7 Likes

I agree with you Denise, since the beginning of September when they changed the front page my views and sales are greatly diminished too. This is so disheartening as almost everything on the landing page is chosen by Folksy. Just looked on the jewellery front page and there was 11 pairs of earrings on there, not much choice or variety for potential customers.

2 Likes

I totally agree, I think the front page is to blame, I’ve still not sold anything since August. The signed out front page is totally uninspiring and only directs you to items chosen by Folksy, i.e. Gift Guides etc. The front page should invite people to easily view ALL the categories, giving everyone a fair chance. I would like the recently listed back (on the signed-out version as well.)

10 Likes

Well put Bizzy Lizzy, I agree with everything your saying. I have been selling on Folksy for a year now and September has been the worst month for me, only one sale and hardly any views, example 7 views yesterday compared to on average 25 a day. We are not going to sell anything if customers cannot find us. The reasoning for the change of the front page is beyond me.

4 Likes

Being the curious person I am I actually logged onto my Google analytics to look at my views over the past 12 months. After reading about dips in views I was interested to see how mine were doing, as sales have been steady with peaks from 33 in January to an average of between 10-15 a month, I’d not really bother to look at them for a while.

It’s interesting to see that despite the changes to the front page in September my views were actually higher this year than last (600 in 2013 and 780 in 2014), we’re only just over a week into October and my predicted views for this month are going to be around 900, and compared across the the whole year September, Oct, Nov and December seem to be quieter in terms of views generally looking at last years stats. I haven’t done anything any different this year in terms of promotion, I use twitter, facebook, facebook groups, stumble and have a blog.

Not sure what this actually means other than maybe that it could just be a quiet time for views coinciding with the changes. This is what my views have looked like over the past 12 months

1 Like

I don’t get why there is a signed in and signed out version? @Folksycontent @sianfolksy

I have been a web developer (Oh to be a full time artist !!) since the late 1990’s and boy have things changed in 15 years - Google wasnt even the search engine of choice back then !!! But the one thing that hadn’t changed in my personal view is the most important thing with any website and I tell all my clients this “Content is Key”

And the content, images, text, links in my opinion on any website home page need to be clear and consist and say “what’s in the box” or what is on sale in this case. At the moment in my opinion the home page doesn’t say come shopping to me! Which is really sad as I love Folksy but as I said earlier I’m selling elsewhere but it’s gone very quiet for me here …

7 Likes

Hazel I do agree. I loved the mix on the front page, always changing, always therefore interesting and I visited often just for entertainment.
That was in August.
Then — I went to France for a few weeks and while I was away things changed.

Now I know there has been lots of ‘moaning’ on here about the smorgasbord and how it favours some people and ignores others - but you will always get some who are not happy - but as far as I am concerned what was there before was much better than this watered down version.

I no longer look with much interest at the signed in version as it is not as dynamic as it was before - don’t know why but it isn’t.

And if I were a non-signed’ in person (which I often am as the stupid thing makes me sign in every single time I hit my Folksy shop shortcut icon :frowning: )…
I would find the front page very uninteresting. It would hardly make me want to register so I could find the more interesting version.

@Folksycontent @sianfolksy

Joy xx

PS: My sales are fine. I love my shop on Folksy. It is always busy but I do stock a good range of things in an attempt to appeal to a wide market. :slight_smile:
And… I promote, promote and promote and a lot of my traffic comes via my Facebook shop as every single thing whichI list in my shop here is also shared by me on Facebook and then by Craftjuice and on Twitter…

9 Likes

i agree @JOYSofGLASS - the signed in version is more interesting, obviously…
my concern is, IF new visitors to the site bother to register and sign in, they’d see that. but! having to log back in every time you’ve navigated away means they’d probably end up on the bland signed out view again and again. as happens to me.
i love folksy, and enjoyed browsing the smorgasboard, but even i am getting p***ed off and “arg!” when i keep getting dumped at the signed out version.

7 Likes

I know the signed out version is supposed to be an experiment that is in progress, but the fact that we are all getting signed out and have to come via there must be really cocking up any useful info that Folksy are able to gather - as well as being dull and hugely annoying for us.
Also why do all these experiments and changes have to coincide with the run up to Christmas - this is the 3rd year running.

To me the signed out front page feels more like one has stumbled across a back door rather than a welcoming vibrant shop front that says come in and buy, the folksy logo is so tiny and it is still so bitty and cluttered with words.

13 Likes

I agree 100%… I dont sleep very well so browsing through the recently listed items gave me something to do and enjoy at 3 am.!!! Plus I have bought some things that i wouldnt normally have bought. It will be interesting to find out who renews their ‘plus’ listings next year as so far an utter waste of money. Folksy will lose out so then maybe the listing per item costs will have to go up and then they might lose even more people. Totally disheartened as have been an avid supporter and have told loads of people about the site. Sorry to sound so negative but maybe things should have been left as they were.

6 Likes

I miss the Best Sellers section, as I used to look there for inspiration on photos and descriptions to see if I could improve my own. Marg. x

3 Likes

You can still see the Best Selllers via this direct link - but there appears to be no visible link from Folksy . … http://folksy.com/bestsellers

This could be because lots of people objected to it. Me, I like it. I like finding my shop on there and I enjoy browsing to see what is selling well for everyone else.

4 Likes

I agree that the non signed in page is very uninspiring.

Am I the only one who prefers the new version of the FP? I think it’s much classier and easier on the eye than the old one. Everyone moaned before that the ‘recently listed’ was a waste of space because items vanished after a micro-second and it was swamped by re-listers…now everyone thinks it was fab and wants it back! There’s no pleasing folk…

I don’t get to see the ‘signed out’ version much as I have a shortcut that takes me to my shop. I still get the login page, but I have my shop name and password ‘saved’ so I just have to click on one button to take me to my shop. It would be annoying to have to type everything in each time, but with the shortcut it’s not so bad.

1 Like

Christine
I really don’t prefer the new version to the August one but it’s really not too bad at all and infinitely better than before the smorgasbord was introduced.
fyi I just analysed how the 13 pictures which are displayed at a time are made up :
1 From the featured seller
1 just listed
1 just sold
1 being bought (same piece - obviously not too busy with sales at this moment !)
2 Just Favourited
1 Folksy Theme
6 Folksy favourites

This does indeed seem a good mix and I can’t see how it can be improved upon.

I don’t miss the newly listed, like you I think it was a waste of time as it was so transient, I never looked at it and it was the subject of such moaning on here that it was surely more trouble than it was worth.

I also don’t always see the signed out version if I go directly to my shop but I don’t like what I see when I do go that way - when I want to see what’s on the Folksy front page.
I just hope that this version will soon be returned to the same as the signed in, as it used to be.
And also that Folksy sort out the aggravation of having to keep hitting the sign on button , and sorry but it is aggravating to have to keep signing in, the less key depressions to navigate round a computer system is always the better (with my ex-systems analysyt hat on).

Joy :smile:

I started this thread in august and it has been really interesting reading everyones experiences.
I was really quite busy when I started the post and september was busier than last years xmas. But something has happened since I came back my holidays and I haven’t had a sale on folksy for a whole month which is really unusual. Still fairly busy on my other online shop and b&m shops but don’t know whats happened on folksy.

2 Likes

Thanks Joy @JOYSofGLASS for the link to the best seller list. I’ve had a quick look, and there are some new best sellers which is great. Marg. x

1 Like