Are your sales picking up?

No, my sales are none existent. I opened my shop at the beginning of July and made my first sale within 4 days. I then sold another 15 items in August. I was really pleased so upgraded to the PLUS account, and a couple of days later the front page changed…big mistake as I haven’t made a sale since.
I promote on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest as well as having business cards in some local businesses.
Very disappointed and I can’t help feel that the front page is something to do with the down turn.
As someone who has spent a lot of years doing window displays in retail, they should look attractive and eye catching to encourage people in to the shop…Folksy’s front page is it’s shop window and is very bland…would not draw me in…

Kim
x

2 Likes

Kim
An observation re your FB page.
You have only a small Like audience so far and even all that audience will not be offered all of your posts. FB is stingy like that.
When you post something from your shop you need to post an actual picture, not the linked one from your shop. FB is really really mean about showing those.

I was about to share your lovely embroidered snowflakes but there is no FB photo link only one to your shop which means it will just not get viewed.
Also putting a link within your post is another thing FB doesn’t like. I always nowadays add the links in the comment …ooh and don’t mention the word Comment in your post or that gets negative points as well.

Joy xx

4 Likes

Ok, I’m confused.
When I post on KB Creations on Facebook I always put the link to my Folksy shop and a photo always appears. From what you say this picture does not appear on the feed of my followers, just the link…if I’m lucky, so what I am seeing is not what they see.
So, should I post a picture from my computer…then add a link separately to my Folksy shop in the comments box…?
Sorry if I’m sounding dim…I have never been a big Facebook user…
Kim
x

Kim. It’s not you. Its Facebook. It tries it’s best to hide our posts if it thinks they might be ‘commercial’ at it wants you to pay for promotion (Not a good idea).
It only ever shows a percentage of your posts to your likers and certain things in the posts mean it will not share them as well as it could,

So — if you have a photo of something then load up the actual photo and then add the link in the comment (and try not to use the word comment in the actual post as that’s a naughty word too).

If you just put a link in your post to your Folksy listing Facebook will be very ungenerous in how many of your likers it shows it to.

On the plus side the more comments and likes you get against the post, the more people Facebook will show it to.
I think of it as a game. How do I get past Facebook’s restrictions ?

I’ll give you a link to the listing I posted last night - but note this is to show you an example of how I do it, not to promote myself https://www.facebook.com/JOYSOFGLASS/photos/a.10150229148653603.325620.71748953602/10152420033808603/?type=1&theater

This one is showing 118 views which is a small percentage of my likes but far more than it would get if I had simply posted the link to my Folksy listing.

Hope this helps - there are some good Facebook ‘tip’ posts on here if you search which might help more.

5 Likes

Thank you.
I knew Facebook didn’t show my posts to everyone, I have seen it mentioned here before, but because my family always seemed to be able to see the pictures it didn’t occur to me that others couldn’t.
Most of my posts seemed to manage about 60-80 views but occasionally it will be very low…I will certainly take your advice on board next time I post…

Thanks again

Kim
x

‘Shares’ of your posts are the best - as that way you get a percentage of the views of the sharer as well. Forgot to mention that !

Glad it’s not just me Joy.

I’m finding it very frustrating - I signed up for the plus account a few months ago as I was doing great here, lots of sales even made it onto the best sellers list - but now - nothing !!! If I wasn’t selling my Art so well other places is be worried I’d lost it !!! but over there and facebook Art In Wax is selling more than ever :slight_smile:

I’ve always had fun on folksy and I will be giving it more time here but something needs to happen as I haven’t seen a return on my investment - both in terms of the plus account and marketing time :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for this information ,I’m relatively new to face book too

Thanks for this post. Very helpful. I’ve been struggling with the promotion side too, and am not that familiar with FB’s stroppiness either :wink:

I’ll definitely be searching for those FB tips posts!

That’s very useful information, many thanks . I realised FB was stingy about what it showed to others, but these are great tips to get things seen, which I’ll be putting into practice now.

I wish Folksy would do something about the front page. It’s no coincidence that everyone’s views and sales are down since they changed it early September. I’ve no enthusiasm anymore for making new jewellery, before September, would be making around 10 pieces per month to replace what had been sold. I really love it here, being for British crafters and don’t want to go over to E… but don’t know what else to do.

3 Likes

Hi Dawn, I just looked back over the few sales I have made and most of them happened 1 to 2 days after first listing, so I assume that as I didn’t actively promote them, they were picked up from the recently listed which is no longer there. I too love Folksy and don’t fancy the alternatives.

1 Like

Hi Bizzy Lizzy, I’m sure it is the front page there’s just nothing there to temp you in is there? I don’t promote on Facebook or Twitter, I have tried Craft Juice, but was still getting reasonable sales and views without promotion so customers were finding my shop through Folksy.

1 Like

I sold 2 pieces this afternoon.
One was listed 18th July, the other 24th July.

I just checked via the email addresses of the customers and they are both on Facebook - that doesn’t mean they found me via my FB page but there is a good chance that they did.
I doubt they found the items they purchased by going directly to Folksy and having a walk around to see what they could find. I just don’t think people tend to shop like that,
It is far more likely they found what they wanted on my FB page or via Google as I do google quite well.

1 Like

That’s good news Joy :slight_smile:

Having felt frustrated with the talk about the folksy home page I decided to put my web developer hat on this afternoon sand redesigned my own website home page … I do like to be colourful lol

2 Likes

I thought the change before this one was fine - I don’t see why they have to ‘hide’ all the lovely things on display if you’re not signed in - it’s a real shame they have done this :crying_cat_face: …this is the first time I’ve actually grumbled about Folksy ! please put it back …pretty please :wink:

5 Likes

Wow that’s brilliant. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree Joy. Relying on the customer that might want your item to be looking at the front page or recently listed within the ten minutes or so before your new item drops too far for any normal customer to realistically be browsing down to seems a bit needle in a haystack to me. (Scuse the massive sentence.)

Thanks Joy :slight_smile:

I just had a sale! Fell off my chair :slight_smile: Might even have to pay a bill this month f I were to get another holds breath

5 Likes