Conflicting Views

Views for my shop yesterday ,Google analytics 11 views ,Folksy views 0 views. Strange?

Paul

1 Like

That’s because the view counter is broken and hasn’t updated since Thursday

1 Like

Glad to hear that, thought my views were worse than normal!!

Thankyou Eileen

I think Folksy views only counts the views on a specific item page not your shop front page(s) which google does count.

I created a thread for this as I noticed no one else mentioned it, I also reported it to Folksy and they replied to me this morning saying thank you for letting us know, mine still showing zero this morning.
Jenny

1 Like

On GA I have gone from 4 views Sunday to 41 yesterday,don’t know what thats all about ,Folksy said 6 (not sure whether it is fixed or not)

Paul

GA counts people looking at your shop front and the pages of thumb nails whilst folksy only count the views on a specific item page (I think). The discrepancy could be that you had lots of people scan through your shop front but not look at a specific item. If you log in to GA and look in your acquisition tab (specifically network referals under the social tab) it will tell you if some one shared your shop via fb /twitter/ pinterest etc. If you go to landing pages (uder the same tab) it will tell you if they shared a specific item (which would show up on the folksy views) or your shop front (which wouldn’t). It might be that 41 people landed on your shop front and scanned through it but only 6 of them went on to look at a specific item (the user flow tab should clarify that). Hope that’s help full.

Thankyou Sasha for your tips,only problem I am not too good at this techy stuff and I can’t see any of the tabs you mention ie. aquisition tab, network referrals,social tab. I’m sure they are there somewhere but I can’t find them.
My original point was that I never ever get that sort of number of views unless I pay for some promotion,and i wondered if I was featured on the Folksy site somewhere that I didn’t know, I know of 1 box featured but it has been so for 2 or 3 weeks now and hasn’t really affected the views.

Paul

I had an item feature in the folksy favourites (and presumably on the front page as a result) and that didn’t get a large spike in views just a small and on going increase for that item. I managed to get an item on the folksy facebook page on friday which lead to a massive spike in views for one day only. I didn’t know about either bits of promotion until after the fact.
So a dummies guide to GA to help you find out what caused your spike (and apologies if this gets patronising, that is not my intention):

1. log in
  2. click on ‘all website data’ (left hand side half way down page) or ‘reporting’ (top of page just left of centre)
    this takes you to a page with data for all of the sessions for the last month - if you want to change the dates there is a calendar top right just under the log out button, click on the down arrow, select the dates and then click apply.
  3. running down the far left hand side you should see a selection of tabs, the top one is ‘dashboard’, the 6th one down is ‘acquisition’, click on it and this makes some more drop down options appear and the main part of the screen becomes the acquisition overview page.
  4. On the main part of the screen there will be a pie chart and underneath it a series of bars - this is for all the visitors to your site and how they got there. If I click on ‘referral’ I can see how many people have ended up in my shop from the folksy forum and blog. If I click on ‘social’ I can see how many people ended up in my shop via social media.
    Hopefully you are with me so far.
  5. In the drop down options under Acquisition (on the far left hand side) there is a ‘social’ option. Clicking on this causes another drop down menu to appear, four item down is ‘landing page’, click on this.
  6. The main part of the screen should now have 2 graphs - the top (blue) one shows all the visitors that have come to your shop via social media, the lower (orange) one shows all the visitors for comparison purposes. Under these graphs there is a list of the web pages that were shared via social media, for me the top one is the item that folksy had on their facebook page on friday.
    Hopefully that is slightly clearer. If not try googling your shop name - I’ve found mentions of my work in blogs and pinterest boards by doing that.
    Sasha
2 Likes

Thanks Sasha, very helpful, I have learned a lot ,I still don’t know the cause of the spike though it did say 3 was through social media and 41 through shared sessions ,I was back to 2 yesterday.
Thanks again
paul