EU customs and HS tariffs?

Hello! I don’t know if @Folksyadmin or @folksycontent or anyone else can help with this?!?

I’m still getting my head around the HS customs tariff codes, as I’m gearing up to re-opening my shop to EU and overseas sales again!

I’ve been looking at the assorted Tariff codes and I’m getting more and more confused about it!

Before now, I’ve just been adding ‘costume jewellery’ as I thought I saw that was a category on the customs website. But maybe I was wrong as I can’t see that option now!

As I create mixed media jewellery sometimes with multiple materials, does that mean that I would need to add many codes?

For example: One code for handmade paper, another for base metal plated, another for wood, another for cotton fabric, another for imitation jewellery?

Or do you just go for what your jewellery is mainly made up of?

:thinking: :confounded:

Cheers, Amanda

There was an official foot note in the HMRC tariff look up guide about using the code for what the jewellery is predominantly made up from - the example they gave was for a strand of semi precious gemstone beads necklace with a silver clasp would have the gemstone jewellery code (71162080) rather than the silver jewellery code (71131100) as the amount of gemstone beads outweighs the amount of silver. Since what I post overseas is almost always fordite jewellery and fordite doesn’t count as a gemstone I use the silver jewellery code - not had any problems so far.
71179000 is the code for imitation jewellery of base metal whether or not plated with precious metal, I would have thought that covers your jewellery.

(here’s the official footnote about things being minor components

1. (A) Headings 7113, 7114 and 7115 do not cover articles in which precious metal or metal clad with precious metal is present as minor constituents only, such as minor fittings or minor ornamentation (for example, monograms, ferrules and rims), and paragraph (b) of the foregoing note does not apply to such articles.
  • (B) Heading 7116 does not cover articles containing precious metal or metal clad with precious metal (other than as minor constituents).)
1 Like

AHH thanks Sasha, I think I missed the footnote!

Cheers, Amanda

1 Like

Hi! I found this Instagram post today that may be of help :hugs:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLaDDsoj-Nx/

1 Like

Ooh good one!!:grin:

1 Like