June Art thread

Morning, what is everyone up to today? I’m just about to turn the computer off and do something creative!

These are a some of my recent finished paintings - I’m getting more and more whimsical so it looks like that’s the way my style is heading. I’d love to know what you think or any suggestions on how I can improve as I’m pretty new to painting (other than abstracts)? I’ve had a few people describe what I do as ‘unique’ which is the biggest complement anyone can give me. I’m inspired by lots of really talented people but I really want to find a style of my own :slight_smile:

I often feel quite insecure about my work - it often doesn’t look finished without the thick black line around everything which I know probably isn’t ‘technically’ right but maybe that is what makes me unique haha!

They’re not listed yet but I have had some prints done. I have no idea if anyone will ever like them enough to buy them but you never know…

Have a good day all!

2 Likes

I think they’re lovely :slight_smile: Don’t worry about the outlining - it’s just a style, same as any other :slight_smile: I use it myself - my pet signs are my own ‘cartoon style’ - semi-realistic with a black outline :slight_smile:

I’m going to tidy my work area today - it’s a tip! I can’t concentrate on painting when it gets too messy.

1 Like

Thanks so much @DandelionsGallery Sara - that’s a good way to think about it - it’s just a style like any other :blush:
I like to think I have a more illustrative than painterly style which sounds rather grand!

1 Like

Fab work ladies…waving Stephie, Sara and Dawn…
LOL Dawn, I like the phrase perfectly imperfect…I am not keen on perfect unless it is a commission to copy something…
I spent many years outlining and then trying to get out of the habit…but then I realised, as Sara said, that there are many different styles, all of which are perfectly good. I outline my cartoons and never worry about it any more.
Today I have another cartoon greetings card…

2 Likes

Afternoon all :slight_smile:

Brenda - that counts as a rude card in my opinion! Jogging is a dirty word LOL!

I’ve done some tidying in my room (where a lot of craft stuff had migrated to again) and my ‘office’ - where I have been working on glitter creations, so a lot of time was spent cleaning glitter off all the surfaces LOL!

I also finally got around to listing these hair clip holders - I wanted to paint some animal things that were pretty but useful too :slight_smile:

Unicorn hair clip holder:

Pony hair clip holder:

Guinea Pig hair clip holder:

I’ll be doing some more animals for these holders soon, but have to crack on with my commissions now - got about 40 signs on my list to do :slight_smile:

And I’m just one sale away from 1500 - YAY!!!

4 Likes

good afternoon, gosh you lot have been busy. Fabulous work everyone, too many to comment individually but the scarves are gorgeous, we hve the little one over this weekend but she’s popped out shopping so I’m making the most of a free hour to take pics and get listings ready for next week, just added this one as a print of the flamingo I did last week, I love the way you can scale digital art, I just orders some ink jet printable fabric, going to see if I can print some of my graphics on it maybe make some phone covers or glasses cases, we’ll see they even do a fine silk so maybe I can print on a scarf, no iron needed Brenda :wink:

2 Likes
1 Like

Wow what lot of fab art, I love it all!

Highlights for me are:

• Dawn’s illustrations - your patterns and outline style really suits you, I think those are my favourite pieces on the thread since my last visit.

• Sara’s ponies - those pony hair clip organisers are inspired, my daughter would have loved one of those when she was little.

I need to take some more photos today to continue with my shop refurb, and hopefully I’ll be painting another scarf later.

hello everyone! I’m late again! Gorgeous work everyone, there’s so much colour in this tread this month. It’s nice to see everyone’s back on form too :slight_smile:

Welcome to @thecuriousartofmadamej, your style is lovely! I’m a big fan of the black outlines too. I tried to cut back recently- but it’s part of what I do. I think we’re in an era that allows for ‘imperfect’ art- if everyone’s art was “perfect” wouldn’t it be boring? Every style has it’s place and is important- if we didn’t have our individual styles, we’d be lost in a sea of art. Plus- just because we break some art rules doesn’t really mean our Artwork isn’t perfect, if it looks like we intended, then it’s perfect. :wink: Embrace your style, it’s wonderful. :smiley:

Here’s some of my latest artwork:

‘Hudol’ is the welsh word for ‘magical’ by the way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Morning all!

Thanks so much for the kind words about my paintings. I guess then what I need to do is embrace the black lines! I find it funny that lots of you have also tried to lose the lines too.
It makes me feel not so alone :slight_smile:

I’m going to take your advice on board and just go with it. I’m so pleased I came back to Folksy and got involved with this thread - its going to help me so much to be able to ask advice of more experienced artists. I’m 40 this year but I only started to draw/paint seriously a year ago so its still very much all about learning as much as I can,

Brenda - I agree with Sara, your card makes me feel tired just looking at it!

Sara - your hair clip holders are so sweet and such a creative idea

Maxine - beautiful flamingo and he goes perfectly in the pendant

Stephanie - wow, thanks for your lovely comments! That really has made my day, especially coming from another artist. I think I really need to just worry less and create what feels right to me.

Lowri - and thanks so much too, that means a lot. I LOVE your work, your style is right up my street. You are 100% right, I think there is a place for all sorts of different types of art, including mine haha

This is something I did yesterday - I’m very pleased with her but I can’t help thinking there’s something not quite right. Too much green? She’s acrylic paint and watercolour crayons over a very heavily collaged background (which creates the wings).

Have a great day everyone, hope to pop back later this afternoon.

Dawn

3 Likes

Lovely work everyone…such an interesting and mixed selection…all different and all fabulous in their own way.
Dawn…40…,…mmm…I wish…I shall be 70 this year…(still behave like a teenager though).
I was doing a lot of crochet but storage was becoming a problem and so I am gradually reducing the price on all the crochet in my shop, most of it is just for the cost of the yarn.
Paintings are so much more relaxing and storage is a doddle compared with jumpers and blankets.
I am trying to do a minimum of one painting a day…
Twinkle and gloom…my business name is Gweddus…I chose it because my name is Brenda Cumming AKA B.Cumming and I looked in my Welsh dictionary and it said that the Welsh word for “becoming” (nearest I could get) was gweddus… So that amused my sense of humour and I decided to use it for all my paintings.
Here is yesterday’s painting

2 Likes

Lovely piece of work Brenda,as are all your paintings. I am already70 and like you a teenager so do we buy a harley davidson and hit Glastonbury ?

2 Likes

Love that idea James!

Brenda your landscape is beautiful. I’ve just sent you a fb message, let me know if it hasn’t arrived.

Dawn she’s just lovely as she is.

1 Like

Sorry James…right now , I am off hang gliding round the mountains…ha ha
(sorted Stephie)

Afternoon everyone. Fabulous work today. Love your Welsh girl especially Lowri. Gorgeous colours in your landscape Brenda give us a wave as you fly by :smile:. Beautiful Dawn I especially like the effects on the wings

Just need to frame this one it’s acrylic and ink laid on with a knife on canvas board 8x8

Hopefully you can see the heavy texture in the close up

2 Likes

Thank you all :slight_smile: I shall leave her as she is!

There is such varied art on this thread but all lovely.

If you can cope with a youngster tagging along, I’d be up for a Harley Davidson ride anytime!

Another beautiful landscape Brenda (I love the story behind your shop name!) and the little bird is beautiful Maxine - I thought it was oil paints at first.

1 Like

room on the bike for three…ha ha Dawn…
I know I am being naughty and will probably get told off for this but I was searching for paintings…and not complaining because lots of mine are on the first few pages…but how can painting by numbers kits be described as arts and crafts for a shop? Maybe it is me, but to me, that is big business printing…sigh…not to mention copyright…aaaargh.

1 Like

Need to afford one yet.

1 Like

Got a grandad licence in the 60s.

2 Likes

You’re on, happy to ride sidecar!

That sound very strange Brenda, I’m not sure anyone would be able to create something like that as a small business?