Folksy Ltd

Just joined Instagram

I’ve just joined Instagram, I haven’t a clue what to do now,there is not a lot of info on the page, I have applied to follow dotties designs , nothing has happened. I suppose people are expected to know these things ,but I must be too old.

Paul

You need to follow people to see anything really. It’s like facebook in that sense- on your ‘wall’ you’ll only see photos by the people you’re following.
You can find new people though by going to the search option- the search option will just show up all sorts. When you’re following a few people it will more intelligently show you others posts- as in- they’ll be similar in style to who you follow and what you like.
You can set your account to be private or public. If public anyone can see what you post and can follow you and like your photos even if they don’t follow you (if they find you in the search).
If your account is private- people can’t see your photos unless you accept them as a follower.
Hashtags are used a lot in Instagram. They’re used to find people in the search too. You can search to find a specific persons account, or you can search by a hashtag and see what comes up. For example if you searched #handmade there’d be mountains of photos! If you search something much more obscure you may only find a few people or even none at all if no one has ever used that hashtag.
When you post your own photos- people like some writing that follows- so feel free to write away in the comment section! And use hashtags as well and your photos will more likely be found in searches.

I really like the community on Instagram. I follow a fair few people- almost 1000ish and a lot of them follow me back and are super supportive of things I post/make. It’s much friendlier than places like Twitter where within a minute the post has disappeared.

Not sure if any of that information will be helpful to you- but good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s basically a big photo sharing site, using photos rather than words to interact with others. The photos added by anyone you follow will show up in your home feed and you can love or comment on them as you wish tagging other users with the @ symbol and using hashtags to show up in searches. If you let me know your username I will go and follow you and you can see what happens! I couldn’t find you under norfolkwoodcrafts

Very helpful Susannah thankyou, although i will probably back here for more info at times.

Paul

Thanks Roz, I have used my own name Paul Griffiths , not sure whether that was wise or not.

Paul

Mhmm…rather a lot of Paul griffiths on instagram - can you put a link up or if you follow me I can find you! https://www.instagram.com/orchardfelts

Hi Paul, I also pop over and find you on Instagram, so you can have another follower too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Tina , Roz said there’s a lot of PGs on there if you give me your link I’ll follow you then vice versa.

BTW , do I have to download the app??
And do you think I should have used Norfolkwoodcrafts ? and if so is it too late to change it.

So many questions.

Paul

You can change your Instagram name anytime you like and it does not have to be your own name. Just go to your home-page (the symbol is a silhouette) and select “edit settings” and change your name. Simples!

Sam x

1 Like

You can only view other people’s posts on the web version. If you want to post pictures you have to have the app on your phone and/ or iPad.

1 Like

I have only got a laptop, can you have the app on that and does it cost to have it.
Although I am getting an Ipad shortly.

Paul

Thanks Samantha.

1 Like

You can’t have the app on your laptop although there may be third party work around. That’s why it took me so long to join, had to wait till I got my new phone!

Following you on Instagram awaiting that first post. It will sharpen up your photography skills and I find it the easiest of the social media sites to deal with. Good luck and enjoy it.:slightly_smiling_face:

I really like having my Instagram accounts, It’s so easy how you can take pics on your phone, tweek them on photogrid and then put them on Instagram, I love adding all the hash tags too!
I have followed everyone from this thread through my mask account but I do also have an account for my flower crowns …I like to make my life difficult! lol :smiley:

Hi Paul, I’m @Daisywings2 :slight_smile:

Hi Marie,Thanks but, I can’t post anything at the moment because I have only got a laptop, but have ordered an ipad.

Paul

Hi Tina, You have not come up in my list of followers yet , don’t know whats gone wrong, I have you on my following list.

Paul

I also can’t put a photo on my profile.