Spike in views

Yesterday I started adding tags to 12 of my items and used the hashtag to tag my items I’ve posted to Google+

Now it might not be related but my views yestered tripled. I had more views yesterday than the total of views for the last 3 days combine.

I’ve also since using hashtags yesterday on some of my items on google+ have had a huge increase on people plus 1 and sharing my posts.

Anyone else had a sudden spike in views? and if so did you start adding tags to your listings or started using hash tags in google+?

2 Likes

Hi Eileen

It’s looking good isn’t it. I had a slight increase in views yesterday after adding tags to some of my items. I know some of those views were probably my own, but it’s nice to see those figures creeping up.

It’s hard I think to put tags to an item. We have to think like a customer and try to home in on what folks are searching for.

I use google+ but I never really know where to post or what hashtags to use.

Karen

with google + I’ve joined a number of community boards that I post to and I just used the same tags as I’ve put in my folksy listings.

1 Like

I’ve seen a spike on Google Analytics since I put on some tags, even when I take into account my own views. Looking up!

Love Sam :fish:

1 Like

Yesterday I put tags on some of my things, and this morning I had a record number of viewings,( no sales yet) (still waiting for the floodgates to open!), I was VERY pleased, but now sadly deflated if they were me looking myself up!!! But heyho, onwards and upwards I will continue with the tagging, but also can someone spill the beans, does it matter what order the tags are put in, do they get prioitised according to the order? Do colour tags really work? Soooo much to learn, so much to make, so little time.
Suzzie x

1 Like

Im not sure what tags to put i that I havnt already used in the title and write up. Are the words in title/write up still a way of searching or is it just by tags now?

Hi Suzzie @thistledownandHOPE

I’ve got a good feeling about the new tag system. People who are searching for a more specific item will find our things much easier with a bit of luck.
I’m not 100% sure yet how it all works so I’m just playing around with words, and making sure I’m not using the same tags all the time.

Karen

I wondered about this too @PoisonedAppleJewellery

I haven’t got round to tagging all my listings so did an experiment and searched for ‘fordite’ all 4 of my items were returned by the search even though only 2 of them so far have tags. So it looks like the titles and description still get used by the search function.
I found a useful tutorial on tags on youtube that had been made by the darkside, I don’t think our system is as advanced as theirs but I’m sure some of it is applicable here. So I’m using my tags to add synonyms/ alternative spellings (eg the fordite I mentioned above is also called detroit agate and motor agate or mookaite is sometimes spelt moukaite) and descriptors of who might like it (fordite is made from car paint so I’ve put in petrol head jewellery but you could use things like geek, nerd, princess, yummy mummy etc depending on who an item might appeal to). You could also use it to add additional item descriptors so if you have described some earrings as chandelier in the title/ write up you might want to have tags like ‘drop earring’ or ‘dangly earring’. The darkside recommend using multiple word tags rather than single word ones so rather than tagging earrings as ‘red’ put in ‘red earring’.
Hope that helps.
Sasha

1 Like

I’m having this problem too, although with tags available I might be able to shorten some of my titles so they don’t look too clunky (spent so long trying to get ‘key words’ into the titles in the hope they’d get picked up in searches :slight_smile: )

Thanks Sasha, that’s useful to know :slight_smile:

I added some tags the other day and my views went up but just looked and today its at 0. I’m not sure if the views were me :confused:

1 Like

Ditto, yesterday I had a record number of viewings, which I have to admit were probably me checking my tags were working! But today 0 zilch nil nothing! Such information could drive a woman to an early cup of coffee! Glad its not just me finding it all confusing.
Suzzie x

2 Likes

That is strange! I also had ’ nil ’ views for yesterday!
I think it must be broken again. …I have never had ’ nil ’ before! Must try tagging now, interesting to see if it works!

Question? where do you place the hashtags? In the description on your listing in folksy? Just tried that and I was not allowed!..

There’s a section called tags on the listing page just above the colours and materials sections, you don’t need to add the hashtag just the words you want as a tag.

sorry to sound dim! where is the ’ listing ’ page, when I go into litings I get all my litings.? help! I need step by step please! x

If you are on your listings page, in each item box far right is the edit button, press, scroll down and you will find the new tag section, type on tag word or phrase and then , ie comma,
Hope that is what you mean?
Suzzie c

1 Like

I think the counter has broken needs to be reported as a bug as the last time the view counter update was Tuesday 19th not Wednesday the 20th.

Yikes!!! A big ugly looking ‘0’ (zilch) views for me too yesterday. Maybe there is a glitch if many of us have the same this morning.

Karen