TikTok ?! Share links and tips!

Hello, :grinning: I was wondering if any of you have TikTok? I have an account and wondering if anyone has any tips, I have made a few sales through it so it seems to be quite useful to have, there does seem to be quite a big art and craft community on there. If there are people here with TikTok thought this thread could be helpful to help each other out and follow each other for a bit of support :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi! :grinning: I’ve reserved my TikTok username but not investigated it yet. I’m looking forward to finding out how it works :+1: :star_struck:

2 Likes

@LakelandLoom yeah I know there is a bit of worry around TikTok that is only for young people :blush: but there are so many cool creatives on there, and it’s quite fun too …I have just followed you on there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I have followed you back :grinning:

1 Like

Guess there are not many TikTok users here :joy:

1 Like

Hi Kerry,

I haven’t really been on the Forums much recently but I came across your thread. So, I don’t have a Tik Tok account but am on IG and recently read much about Instagram reels and how the algorithm is pushing reels at the moment and favouring Reels over Tik Tok as Instagram are investing in winning back their audience from Tik Tok, since it when crazy popular during our lockdowns.
I’m very, very new to Instagram and Reels but have given 2 a go- whilst I can’t claim any sales from them, they certainly got many more views than my grid.
I wanted to share this with you, in case you wanted to consider making them for IG and have favour with the IG algorithm, especially since they are pushing them at the moment.

Hope this info proves useful to you x

3 Likes

Im new here but have an Instagram account for about 3 weeks, got barred in the first week for using too many hashtags (bad advice from my kids). Then this week i got a private message from Etsy to tell me to stop hash tagging my pictures with my shop name as it invalidates the search engine, something to do with conversion rates? Im not very technical so if anyone knows what it means i would love to know before i hash tag my Folksy shop.

1 Like

Hi Hazel,

Welcome!

I’m no expert but my understanding with hashtags is 30 is your limit. I don’t hashtag my shop name specifically, so I don’t use #poppydarling, therefore, I can’t comment on it invalidating the search engine, however there are hashtags you can use for Folksy’s platform- some of the ones I use are: #folksyseller #folksyshop #feelingfolksy
#folksythemeoftheday. I’m sure there are others and the forums are full of supportive individuals who are more experienced to guide you.
If you search the forum threads, you will find more than one thread covering various issues on social media- hopefully you will find the answer to your question in one of them.

Annie x

1 Like

Hi, @PoppyDarling Thank you yes, I have been using Instagram reels too, I do a TikTok and then I also make one for Instagram reels using the same footage most of the time. I have found out that even though TikTok gives you the option to export your video to Instagram it’s best not to do this as can look unprofessional? I think it’s because TikTok put their logo on your video and it can look a bit bad maybe? Yes, reels definitely get more views than my grid for sure! I have also gained more followers on my Instagram from TikTok as it gives the option to put your Instagram at the top of your TikTok page so that’s quite helpful. x

1 Like

Hello Hazel,

Welcome !
I tag #kerrylouisearts (my shop) all the time and i have never had any issues, however i don’t have an Etsy shop so cant comment on that sorry. But as far as Folksy i have never had any issues.

I don’t really understand it but I just # folksy or #Etsy not my shop name just in case .

1 Like

Hi, this is an interesting thread. I am on other social media platforms - FB, Instagram, Twitter, I even have a blog and it is hard work already as I am trying to post different content tailored to each. I don’t think I can handle one more :slight_smile: . However, I might have a look around when I have some time and see how I get on. I was under the same impression that it’s for a younger audience? But maybe it’s worth investigating, the more exposure, the better I guess.

1 Like

@TeodoraPaintings Yes there is a largely younger audience on there, but there is also a huge Art and craft community too, :slight_smile: I definitely think it worth reserving your name on TikTok so that’s secured. Another social media can be overwhelming and it can be a bit stressful especially as you say if you doing tailored content. But I definitely think if you favour Instagram you should try TikTok and the interface of TikTok is very user friendly I find it easier to make a TikTok video than using Instagram reels

1 Like

Thank you very much for this, I will give it a go. I must admit that prior to the pandemic, I never used to watch videos (not even when my family was sending me things), I am still dreading watching them for some reason, but because of my day job I had to adapt - online lessons, online interpreting, online training, online meetings, even making short videos showing me reading something or telling stories so I started to do them for my art business too. I still don’t feel comfortable and I am trying not to show my face or to talk, but I guess, this is the future and we all have to adapt.

2 Likes

Hi, I completely understand! I am an introverted person so the thought of putting myself out there on the internet was quite difficult for me and rather scary too! I find social media quite difficult, but as you say as everything is online and on a screen now so I am learning to adapt :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Meeeee! I’m on TikTok! If you’re on Instagram making reels you may as well put them on TikTok first and reuse your content onto reels - just not a straight share.

I’m @madewithmudpottery

2 Likes

yay !! Followed you back… definitely agree with you about not doing a straight share it’s worth taking the extra bit of time to do separate videos but can use the same content or differ slightly if you want to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I created a profile now and I followed you. See how it goes.

2 Likes

Found you and followed you. See how it goes :).

1 Like

Joined last weekend (Tiktok) Not really got a clue…will keep trying :see_no_evil: