Weekly Natterings beg. 1st Sept

Spent the last 2 hours trying out Viking weave. Or knit. Whichever. Now have no feeling in the ends of my fingers, and my thumbs ache.It does look pretty though!

we need a picture Rhiannon Rose @RhiannonRoseJewellery ! What is Viking weavit?

OK, Suzzie @thistledownandHOPE I will try to describe it. If you ever did French knitting (cotton reel with nails in top and wool, made a snake down the inside of the cotton reel type thing), well viking knit is a bit like that. Except you do it with wire, and it grows on the outside of the form (and the pattern Iā€™m using is 6 sided). Then you pull it through smaller and smaller holes (a bit like using a pasta machine) so it gets longer and thinner. And then you have a beautiful chain!

Well, thatā€™s the theory. I will take a photo and post it here tomorrow!

WOW canā€™t wait to see the final project, or have you made something similar before that is already in your shop Rhiannon Rose @RhiannonRoseJewellery ?
Roz @OrchardFelts just noticed your name change, looks fantasy.
Reading your request for hanging advice @GrimmExhibition of Christmas stockings made me think, oh could I make some too, but immediately the answer was in my head, NO, Keep to what you do best, Bunny clothes hangers and hot water bottles!, because without duplicating everything on various thread, - what are you making at the moā€™ , - what projects have you started and regretted - what would you like to sell this week ā€¦i would have to start a thread 'show us the project that has taken the longest time to complete '. And I would win hands down!
I have been married for 23 years ( I think!) and all that while I have been knitting hubby a Christmas stocking. The children have had theirs, and I have got mine!!! It took me several years to design it, several more to find the perfect yarn. Many more years to perfect the stitch and shape and finally last Christmas I popped the unembellished plain green stocking on the end of our bed, with the promise that i will finish it before our 25th anniversary!
Has anyone else got an ongoing project they would like to admit to?
Suzzie x

1 Like

Morning everybody! This is a mock up of the final piece Suzzie @thistledownandHOPE. As you can see I only made a short piece of the Viking weave chain ( I need to work out how much to make before I draw it through the plate to get the right amount at the end). Itā€™s also going to be a bugger to photograph, but hey, who doesnā€™t like a challenge! I finished the pendant part yesterday as well, so all in all quite a productive day.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s really lovely @RhiannonRoseJewellery very neat looking viking weave and wire wrapping.

Wow that is amazing rhiannon

Afternoon all, just got back home after a night away down south with my sister and Dad. Just popping in before going out to walk the dogs to let you all know I am rebranding my shop. The name has changed and I am in the process of adjusting my prices and postage rates - I think its going to be a long job before everything is listed again but I have a few items back in my shop. I am offering a 20% discount with the code RELAUNCH until Christmas and as I am now offering free UK postage on most of my items the resulting prices will remain pretty much the same on most items for anyone using the code.

Back later
Roz

Iā€™ve popped in for some tea and sympathy, I hope you donā€™t mind if I have a moan.
I have just had to throw away an almost finished Christmas cushion cover Iā€™ve been working on for the last couple of hours as I ripped it with the dreaded seam ripper. Iā€™m so cross with myself :anger: :angry: I have to admit the air was a bit blue here for a while :exclamation:
Anyhow thank you for letting me rant, Iā€™m off for a cup of tea now to calm down before starting again :cry: and maybe a cuddle with my cats :cat2:
Donna x

Donna @RedDragonDesigns I have just put the top back on mine as a precaution!! I was rehemming the curtains in my daughters shed,and whilst not as drastic as your calamity, when resewing them I broke a needle, and guess what I hadnt got a new one, so I have just returned from a 20 mile round trip to the nearest sewing shop only to find I bought Jersey ones and not normal ones Arghhhhhhhhhh.
I am also having a calming cuppa tea and a stroke of the cat, who looks quite terrified!!
maybe some knittingā€¦ or maybe I should make the onion marmalade i have promised the household, mmmmmmm knitting v baking
tea first
Suzzie x

Donna @RedDragonDesigns itā€™s a nightmare when something like that happens. I have nearly finished bracelets and tug the elastic to hard and beads go every were. The last necklace I did I dropped the tiger wire when attaching the clasp. Well lets just say lots of fā€™s and Jeffs were said. eek

Also wanted to let you know just incase your not on the daily thread
Iā€™ll be putting my shop in holiday mode sometime next week as I had a call from my consultant and they want to admit into hospital.
So if you fancied anything it will be Tuesday evening when I put it in holiday mode.
Itā€™s all happening a bit quick.

Dawn @hobbitgirlie1880 fantastic news: I know exactly what itā€™s like waiting for an op! I wish you all the best, at least you can make plans rather than being in that awful ā€œI canā€™t because I might be in hospitalā€ mode. And hopefully it will improve your health beyond measure!

1 Like

Oooh Roz @OrchardFelts I like your fancy new shop and shop name!

Iā€™ve been head-down writing a magazine article thatā€™s due in on Monday. All the painting and photos are done, just got some interesting facts to write about Monet and then Iā€™m done. Phew, this one has been the hardest yet!

Itā€™s nice to take some time out to catch up on the weekly natterings, I do like this thread :slight_smile:

I have been in that I might be in hospital mode since June rhiannon @RhiannonRoseJewellery itā€™s horrible isnā€™t it.
Iā€™m just pleased they are doing something.

I love this thread (and the forums in general) too Stephanie @StephanieGuy. Being self employed and working on my own there are some days when I donā€™t really get to talk to anyone (except the customers and they donā€™t count!) Its lovely to have people to chat to even if it is only in virtual space :smile:

1 Like

Love the new look Roz @OrchardFelts
Lynn x

Itā€™s nice cos you feel you can have a moan on here and people will sympathise :smile:

Oh so its drizzling again!
Busy day doing life.
Sale on Thursday was a non payer which is sooo disappointing, however always looking on the bright side at least someone thought one of my hotties was lovely enough to put in her basket, she just didnā€™t press the final pay button! But it did spur me on to knit, because when the item left my shop there was something missing!
Have a good day youā€™all
Suzzie x

Thank you for the pendant love Dawn @hobbitgirlie1880 and Sarah @plainprimitives! Definitely got the end of school holiday blues today - we go back on Monday, and I canā€™t say Iā€™m looking forward to it at all. Trying to focus on the fact that I will actually get paid, which will be nice after 6 weeks of no pay (Iā€™m on supply at the moment). Iā€™ve put in loads of work over the summer on my shop here and on the other side but I canā€™t say Iā€™m seeing any real increase in sales :frowning:

Today is the first of hopefully our annual allotment BBQ. We are all meant to bring something made from produce grown on our lotties, but in true calendar girls style I have bought the sweet corn! The muntjaq came and helped himself to the ones I had grown.
Yesterday I was knitting sheep faces, but when I was sewing them onto the hotties I realised they were too big, and I canā€™t remember where I wrote my pattern down, not next to the hottie pattern in my little book, arghhhhhh, what a waste of time and yarn. Hubby in despair.
But other than that nothing else to report, quite boring really!
Suzzie x